Based in Toronto, with teams in Oslo and San Francisco, ArcTern is a venture capital firm investing globally in breakthrough technology companies solving climate change and sustainability issues – we call it Earthtech. ArcTern has over a decade of sector experience, and was founded on the premise that accelerating the transition to a carbon-neutral economy will disrupt all industries and present an unprecedented opportunity for outsized financial returns. Solving our planet’s biggest problems will lead to big rewards – for companies, their investors and, of course, Mother Earth.
ArcTern invests across five subsectors: Electricity and Energy, Clean Industry, Transportation and Mobility, Food Systems, and Nature. We focus on early growth (Series A and B) investments within North America and Europe.
We are currently seeking individuals at the Associate level to join our investment team to help us identify, evaluate, invest in, and build the next generation of breakthrough, category-defining Earthtech companies.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Associate will support the investment team on the following tasks:
- Deal sourcing:
- Generate and track deal flow from a wide variety of sources (e.g. incubators,
- conferences, VC partners)
- Screen and prioritize deal flow by participating in company pitches and conducting initial analysis (market, competition, etc.)
- Lead thematic research efforts focused on identifying investable opportunities in emerging subcategories of the Earthtech landscape
- Conduct due diligence on investment opportunities:
- Collect and analyze data from primary and secondary sources (e.g. interviews, market research, company materials)
- Conduct financial modelling and exit analysis
- Synthesize and draw insights from qualitative and quantitative analysis, and incorporate into investment recommendations
- Support fund operations:
- Portfolio company KPI tracking, investment valuation, and quarterly reporting
- Marketing and investor relations
- Advise portfolio companies on strategy and operations:
- Provide ad-hoc support to portfolio companies when needed (e.g. go-to-market strategy, hiring, financial projections and budgeting, capital raising, etc.)
- Deep interest in and passion for finding tech-based solutions to climate change and other sustainability issues
- 2-4 years of experience in relevant field: management consulting, investment banking, private equity, venture capital, start-up operating role; cleantech/climate tech-specific experience is an asset
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in business, finance, economics, engineering, or other related field
- Strong financial analysis and modelling skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Highly self-motivated, critical thinker who approaches problems from first principles and enjoys diving deep into complex topics
- Willingness to travel (approx. once per month, depending on current focus)
- Work for a mission-driven organization: we are focused on solving big, complex problems, and unlocking big rewards in return
- Join a small, but rapidly growing world-class venture capital firm and team: this is an opportunity to join early and develop with the organization
- Enjoy a diversity of work, spanning different sectors, functions, and geographies: everyday is different and there is flexibility in pursuing the work that you want to do
- Results-focused environment: autonomy and flexibility in when, where, and how you work as long as the job gets done
- Opportunity to travel: we invest globally and are always searching for the best cleantech opportunities around the world
- ArcTern views diversity and equal opportunity as a competitive advantage: we strive to build a team that represents a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills
- Competitive compensation package
- Great lunch and inspiring work environment in central Oslo (with some flexibility on location)
To apply, please send (in PDF format) a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line format: San Francisco – Associate – Applicant Name
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Venture capital for a better planet. Since 2012, we’ve been investing in entrepreneurs obsessed with solving humanity’s greatest challenges—climate ch...