Intern - Investments, Teachers' Venture Growth (Summer 2024 - 4 Months)
The deadline to apply for this role is:
September 30, 2023The opportunity
May 2024 - August 2024
Teachers’ Venture Growth (TVG) focuses on late-stage venture and growth equity investments in companies that use technology to disrupt incumbents and build new sectors. We seek to capitalize on significant global opportunities for investment in the new businesses and sectors that are emerging because of unprecedented technological change.
Our global team invests in companies from around the world that have a proven business model and a known path to market!
You will have the opportunity to work closely with the investment team and be involved across all aspects of the transaction process. As an Investment Analyst, you will evaluate emerging themes, technologies and business sectors, conduct financial analysis, support commercial due diligence and help prepare investment memos. You will also help optimize and apply the use of data to the investment process.
Who you’ll work with
You will collaborate with a team of 35 investment professionals across Toronto, San Francisco, London, and Hong Kong, Singapore, and Mumbai, working primarily with Principals and Associates, but also have exposure to senior members of TVG.
You will be exposed to other investment classes and functional groups within Ontario Teachers’. As part of the investment and due diligence process, you may also have exposure to industry experts, advisors and management teams of start-ups!
What you’ll do
As a member of the team, you will:
- Learn about the application of disruptive technologies to new and emerging sectors
- Gain exposure to tech-enabled business models across different industries
- Be highly involved in evaluating investment opportunities including assessing key performance indicators and metrics used within the venture capital industry
- Work directly with investment teams to manage due diligence efforts including developing financial models and conducting market analysis
- Conduct research on new and emerging technologies, sectors and trends
- Pull together, coordinate and centralize data across multiple sources. Research and apply standard methodologies on data cleansing and analytics to applications in the investment process
- Be involved in thoughtful dialogue and discussions on potential investment opportunities
- Assist in the preparation of Investment Committee and other internal memos
What you’ll need
- Undergraduate or Masters student in a business, computer science, engineering or data science program
- Strong academic track record
- Passionate about and demonstrated curiosity about investing, emerging technology innovations and venture capital
- Strong financial and analytical skills including accounting knowledge and financial modelling
- Data-driven with strong research and analytical skills; Experience working with data is preferred but not required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail with a high motivation to learn
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- You should be enrolled in a co-op program or returning back to your studies after the work term is completed
- This position will be in Toronto at our office at Yonge and Finch. Limited travel may be required
What we’re offering
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development, including lunch and learns
- Student led team building events on a monthly basis
- Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
- Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers'.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today! The following documents are required to be uploaded with your application:
- Copy of your transcripts
You will also be invited to complete a pre-recorded digital interview as part of your application.
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected for a personal interview will be contacted. Note that candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
Accommodations are available upon request (firstname.lastname@example.org) for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.
Late-stage venture and growth equity investments in cutting-edge technology companies.