DCVC backs entrepreneurs solving trillion-dollar problems to multiply the benefits of capitalism for everyone while reducing its costs. Deep Tech is a potent approach to this challenge that enables more for less—now and for the future. For over twenty years, DCVC and its principals have backed brilliant entrepreneurs applying Deep Tech, from the earliest stage and beyond, to pragmatically and cost-effectively tackle previously unsolvable problems in nearly every industry, especially those that haven’t seen material technological progress in decades. Together, we have created tens of billions of dollars of value while also making the world a markedly better place.
The Investment Professional will assist in articulating and developing DCVC’s overall vision and investment strategy for investments in ESG/Climate technology companies. The individual will work across the origination and execution of transactions, following the investment throughout its life cycle. Key tasks include identifying suitable investment companies, leading initial screening, taking an active role in financial modeling and due diligence, and briefing and liaising with other professionals as required to ensure that potential deals can be converted into investment opportunities. The role will require investment acumen as well as relationships with relevant entities with a preference given for large corporates and banks operating in the decarbonization solutions space. The individual will need to work with policy experts, technical experts, and industry trade groups to construct a diversified portfolio of investments in companies that offer decarbonization solutions and new technologies that transform the economy on the path to net zero. We encourage candidates with experience supporting and catalyzing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Develop a strong pipeline of climate/ESG investment opportunities primarily in North America as well as build strong sourcing referral networks.
- Conduct thorough technical, business, and market due diligence.
- Work closely with the rest of the DCVC team to help in investment structuring, negotiation, documentation, and execution.
- Provide value-added oversight of investments and management support, including board representation, collection / monitoring of key performance indicators, technical analysis and strategy, business development and lead generation, introductions/connections, and fundraising support.
- Foster relationships with global companies in appropriate markets to help facilitate value creation within the portfolio.
- Manage relationships with peer investors, corporations, and banks for post-investment support, with a focus on preparation for and execution of company exits.
- Represent DCVC publicly at conferences, events, and working groups as needed.
- Engage with policy experts, technical experts, and industry trade groups to proactively develop knowledge resources and thought leadership.
- At least four years of operational experience and technical knowledge in industrial sectors with a decarbonization / sustainability focus such as chemicals, mining and materials, energy, or buildings. Such experience is sought either as an entrepreneur or leader in an innovation unit in a large corporation or through a proven track record as an investor in growth equity or venture capital deals.
- Robust investment acumen.
- Commercial acumen with robust analytical skills and experience managing risk in a portfolio.
- Strong interpersonal abilities and communication skills.
- Strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders across the Climate/ESG category including technical experts, industry trade groups, and policy experts.
- Familiarity with environmental policy and regulatory frameworks surrounding clean energy and decarbonization.
- Technical expertise in Climate/ESG technologies to properly diligence emerging technologies and solutions.
- A strong sense of purpose around net zero and efforts to decarbonize.
- Strong academic credentials: MBA and/or other advanced technical degree preferred.
This role is based in Palo Alto, CA.
Our mission is to invest in founders solving trillion-dollar global problems.