Associate, Thrive Lab
We are banking at another level.
Choosing BDC as your employer means working in a healthy, inclusive, and skilled workplace that puts forward the best conditions to bring together unique teams where employees are empowered to act. It also means being at the centre of ambitious economic and financial projects to see further and to do things differently, to fuel the success of Canadian entrepreneurs.
Choosing BDC as your employer also means:
- Flexible and competitive benefits, including an Employee Savings and Investment Plan where BDC matches part of your voluntary contributions, a Defined Benefit Pension Plan, a $750 wellness and health care spending account, to name a few
- In addition to paid vacation each year, five personal days, sick days as necessary, and our offices are closed from December 25 to January 1
- A hybrid work model that truly balances work and personal life
- Opportunities for learning, training and development, and much more...
Location: Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver
In collaboration with the Managing Director, the Director of Investments and Innovation and the Analyst, the ideal candidate will network, research, and perform analysis for prospective and current impact investments aimed at strengthening the investment ecosystem for women-led businesses through a unique co-investment and partnership model.
CHALLENGES TO BE MET
The ideal candidate will:
- Assist in the development and execution of the investment and ecosystem development strategy of Thrive Lab to develop innovative equity investment models for women-led companies in order to fill important gaps in early-stage financing in the Canadian ecosystem.
- Assist in the development and management of relationships with key decision makers in the innovation sector including incubators, accelerators, family offices, angel groups and other ecosystem actors in order to create a pipeline of investments.
- Assist in the execution of the team’s partnership strategy by managing relationships with co-investors and identifying opportunities for partner engagement and expansion.
- Following internally established processes, assess the suitability of investment opportunities by conducting initial reviews of the business plan, investment materials, managing initial communication with entrepreneurs and referrals, preparing initial interview memoranda and recommendations to pursue or decline.
- Contribute to and support due diligence efforts for new and/or existing investment opportunities by conducting market research and analysis, formulating financial forecasts, reviewing management, competition, etc. and manage existing investments using appropriate databases, customer interaction, research reports and other resources.
- Manage internal reporting requirements by acting as a liaison with the back-office to perform semi-annual valuations and other requests.
- Assist in the management of efficient ongoing relationships with executives of investee companies, promptly responding to all inquiries in a courteous and efficient manner, as well as with representatives from the investment and technology communities through active and ongoing marketing efforts.
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of data by developing and maintaining appropriate information resources and subject matter expertise in various industries, markets and business trends and keeping abreast of significant developments, activities and initiatives in growth financing.
- Ensure that the investment research files, business plans and other information collected by the team are maintained in conformity with BDC’s policies and procedures.
- Support other team members across the full life cycle of an investment.
- Represent Thrive Lab at conferences and other industry events to build a relevant network of contacts.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The ideal candidate should have an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for allocating capital (debt, equity or hybrid forms) and structuring financial instruments focused on the success of women-led companies and strong knowledge of the tech ecosystem. With outstanding dynamism, curiosity and motivation, the ideal candidate will be able to operate well in a rapidly changing environment alongside a small but energetic team.
If you can answer YES to the following questions, you may be just the person we are looking for:
- Are you passionate about conducting impact assessments to identify attractive investment opportunities?
- Do you have a bachelor’s degree in commerce, science, economics, technology, engineering, mathematics or a related field?
- Do you have more than 4 years of experience in a top-tier financial, impact or VC investment role?
- Have you been an analyst (or equivalent) in a top-tier financial, impact or VC investment role for at least two years?
- Have you led on a significant number of deals from sourcing through to diligence and closing at the pre-seed/seed stage?
- Do you have solid financial modelling, which includes sensitivity analysis and scenario modeling, and problem-solving skills with a good understanding of statistics, data-science tools and techniques, as well as a mastery of Excel?
- Do you have extensive experience with strategic projects with a deep operational component?
- With your advice, collaboration and ability to influence, have you developed trusted business relations with both external and internal stakeholders?
- Do you possess intellectual curiosity, excellent analytical and synthesis skills, ability to assess the merits of new technologies, size and adoption rates of markets, and competitive forces faced when introducing new products?
- Are you excited by the prospect of building out a pipeline and establishing partnerships in the ecosystem around impact investing?
If you are keen to join a high-performance team focused on creating new investment opportunities for women-led companies, apply today!
Proudly one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, we are committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, inclusive and accessible environment where all employees can thrive and feel empowered to bring their whole selves to work. If you require an accommodation to complete your application, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
While we appreciate all applications, we advise that only the candidates selected to participate in the recruitment process will be contacted.
We’re Canada’s largest and most active venture capital investor. Our equity investment approach, expert advice and vast network help Canadian technolo...