Corporate Legal Counsel
Techstars is seeking an enthusiastic, solution-driven and skilled Corporate Legal Counsel to be part of the in-house legal team and help lead sales and vendor contract negotiations, NDA review, and data privacy projects, while supporting on general corporate legal matters including trademarks, disputes and litigation, corporate formation and dissolution, and corporate governance.
This is a generalist role that includes working closely with senior team leaders, including the executive leadership team, and other business units within Techstars.
You must be adaptable and proactive in identifying areas of opportunity and generating action plans.
About the role:
- Draft, negotiate, and implement a variety of complex contracts, amendments, renewals, and terminations
- Act as a business partner for the entire organization on contract questions and negotiations, but especially the Revenue team
- Guide the organization in data privacy and security matters, including global privacy requirements like the California Consumer Privacy Act, the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation and the Colorado Privacy Act.
- Work alongside Techstars’ securities and compliance attorneys, Finance, operations team, Accelerator Program staff, outside legal counsel, and the founders of our portfolio companies, to execute on a variety of critical tasks
- Provide advice and guidance to the different teams relating to contract terms, risk and opportunities in the context of a global business.
- Lead and support on a variety of projects within the organization
- Present legal concepts and analysis of corporate issues to executive leadership team
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including Finance, People Ops, IT, and Product, as well as various business units
- Significant drafting and negotiation experience with Fortune 500 companies
- Experience in working in data privacy, including GDPR and CCPA
- Clear oral and written communication skills and the ability to convey complicated legal topics in plain English
- Strong legal and business judgment
- Comfortable working as part of a multidimensional and remote team
- Strong attention to detail and superior organizational skills, along with the ability to manage multiple projects with shifting deadlines
- Ability to establish strong relationships within the organization and across all lines of business
- Team player with the ability to work independently with little supervision in a fast-paced environment
- 4 - 6 years relevant experience, after obtaining a JD degree from an accredited law school
- Previous securities, venture capital or portfolio management experience a plus
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Word / Excel, G Suite, and Adobe, with experience in Salesforce and AirTable a plus
Compensation Range: $120,000 - $140,000 + 10% bonus
The Techstars worldwide network helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas—entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation, and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations, and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 3,000 companies that today have a combined market cap valuation of $100 Billion. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.
Techstars uses E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following:
The worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed.