Senior Investment Associate
Connecticut Biosciences Community
- Connecticut is a leader in bioscience advances, from groundbreaking research in therapeutics to diagnostics and personalized medicine
- Home to a thriving bioscience community, we are capitalizing on the state’s intellectual capital and scientific community
- Connecticut by the numbers: Ranks 3rd for academic R&D investments in bioscience
- Ranks 4th with adults with advanced degrees
- Ranks 4th for bioscience patents per 1,000 people
- Ranks as the nation’s 4th most innovative economy
- Ranks 3rd for venture capital R&D investments in bioscience
- Ranks 5th for productivity per capita
- Ranks 5th in the nation for quality of life
- Ranks 8th in the number of science and engineering doctorates in the workforce
As Connecticut's strategic venture capital arm and one of the most active investors on the eastern seaboard, Connecticut Innovations (CI) has a portfolio of 250 companies across various industries, with strengths in life sciences, technology and climate tech. CI meets with hundreds of companies every year, identifying the most promising early-stage companies looking to grow in the state. Every year, CI invests in 20+ new companies, in addition to providing follow-on capital to existing portfolio companies.
In FY 2022, CI invested $55 million in 100 companies, which went on to raise more than $1.3 billion collectively via private and public financings. Due to successful early-stage investments in companies such as Arvinas, Sema4, Isoplexis, Rallybio and Biohaven, and our evergreen model, we now have more capital to invest in future founders and entrepreneurs.
Additionally, in July 2022, Governor Ned Lamont announced that the U.S. Treasury Department approved the State of Connecticut’s plan to deploy up to $119.5 million in funding through the State Small Business Credit Initiative (SSBCI), which is capital that will be invested by CI.
This is an exciting time to join and be part of the organization. CI’s headquarters are in New Haven, with additional office locations in Hartford and Stamford.
CI Bioscience Innovation Fund
Established in 2013, the Connecticut Bioscience Innovation Fund (CBIF) is a $200 million fund, from which CI makes investments in the form of equity investments and loans to speed bioscience breakthroughs to market. The portfolio consists of more than 100 companies covering verticals including digital health, pharmaceuticals, biotech, life sciences tools, diagnostics, medical devices, and more.
- Since 2013, CI’s bioscience investment activity has doubled, and we have seen $3 billion in outside capital leveraged within this portfolio
- Recent CI bioscience portfolio IPOs include Arvinas, Biohaven, IsoPlexis, Rallybio, and Sema4
- Recent CI bioscience portfolio acquisitions include Biorez, Diameter Health, Kleo Pharmaceuticals, and Medically Home
Biosciences Venture Team & Role Overview
The CI biosciences venture team consists of five team members. Each team member plays a pivotal role as part of the investment due diligence process and in managing the portfolio companies via board level involvement. We embrace diversity of thought; listening with an open mind; thinking big and concretely; and investing with our mission of serving the public good.
We are looking to add to our team to support the growing needs of our portfolio and venture team.
- Investment origination, deal execution, and portfolio company management
- Prospecting for new investment opportunities
- Conducting market, product and competitive analysis
- Financial modeling and valuation analysis, setting and negotiating deal terms, and collaborating with and supporting other members of the venture team
- Preparing reports and proposals regarding potential investments and portfolio companies
- Presenting investments for approval to CI investment committees
- Identifying strategic, marketing and partnering opportunities for portfolio companies
- Entrepreneurial mindset, ambitious self-starter with proven ability to work in a collaborative and diverse environment.
- High energy, effort and positive mental attitude are all must-haves.
- Problem-solving skills and ability to work well with autonomy and ambiguity.
- Motivated to succeed in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness and ability to shift from relatively routine and detail-oriented work to a higher degree of critical thinking and judgment.
- Appropriate combination of self-confidence and humility, a team-player.
- High levels of motivation, commitment, and dedication.
- Master's or Doctoral degree in science and up to five (5) years of experience in life sciences.
- Business development/commercialization experience in a high growth, entrepreneurial, biotechnology or pharmaceutical companies, or in bioscience venture capital firms, is preferred.
- Startup experience is a major plus.
- Track record of proven success.
- A Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the general experience and is a plus.
- Knowledge of financial statements.
- Knowledge of business plans, financial and legal documents.
- Strong oral presentation and written communication skills.
CI offers a competitive starting salary, with additional bonus opportunities based on team and individual investment performance, excellent benefits including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan options, flexible work schedules, and a culture that encourages work-life balance.
CI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We are Connecticut's venture capital arm and the leading source of financing and ongoing support for innovative, growing companies.