We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced individual to join us at Monk’s Hill Ventures as a member of our investment team, at a leading venture capital firm that invests in early-stage technology companies across Southeast Asia. We are entrepreneurs backing great entrepreneurs who use technology to improve the lives of millions of people in the region.
As an investor, you will play a leading role in sourcing, evaluating and managing investment opportunities in the most promising startups across Southeast Asia. You’ll work closely with founders and their teams post-investment. This is an opportunity for someone familiar with our regional tech ecosystem to take ownership of significant responsibilities.
We look for someone with a blend of experience in startups, scaleups and/or investments. A must-have is meaningful operational experience as a founder or senior operator - as we believe in having great empathy for the people we invest in. Our team values a get-it-done attitude, grit, resilience, and strong interpersonal skills. A sense of humour and the ability to see the silver lining when the going gets tough would be a nice complement.
This role is ideally based in Singapore, though we are also open to other locations in Southeast Asia. Regardless of where you are based, our team is regionally focused, so you will get exposure to different sectors and countries. This person will report into our Managing Partners.
If this sounds like something that resonates with you, we would love to hear from you.
What You’ll Do
- Build a strong network across the startup and tech ecosystem through proactive engagement with entrepreneurs, ecosystem partners and other stakeholders.
- Identify and track promising investment opportunities and partnerships.
- Participate in internal and external events (workshops, conferences, speaking engagements).
- Conduct detailed market research, due diligence and investment analysis.
- Evaluate business plans (team, product, market), develop investment theses and deal structures, and deliver recommendations with high conviction to the rest of the investment team, to make decisive picks on best founders to back.
- Execute on deal closing which includes building rapport with founders, negotiating deal terms, and finalizing investments.
- Lead or co-lead board-level engagement with our portfolio companies to assist with strategic, operational and fund raising/exit matters
- Be proactive in creating value for portfolio companies, continually support founders and their teams on their journey.
- Initiate projects that improve the firm’s internal processes.
We’re Looking For:
- 8+ years relevant work experience, including operational experience at fast growing companies; preferably at the C-suite level and at early stage startups.
- Entrepreneurial mindset: proactive self-starter who takes initiative, can work independently and manage multiple priorities effectively.
- Prior experience in venture capital, investment banking, or management consulting is helpful.
- Deep curiosity around technology and aptitude to understand new products, systems, innovations, and business concepts as well as market opportunities and challenges.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong local networks, including familiarity with the SEA region.
- Empathy and humility.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
Entrepreneurs backing entrepreneurs. We believe in great founders who will change millions of lives through technology.