Manager, Venture Investing - Technical Investing Associate
Capital One Ventures (COV) is the strategic investment arm of Capital One. We seek to invest and partner with cutting-edge technology startups in order to bring Capital One the latest technology, applications and learnings from innovators and industry experts. We are uniquely positioned at the intersection of Capital One’s business and tech organizations and the startup ecosystem. We continuously survey the market for opportunities that not only result in financial return but drive strategic impact and better experiences for Capital One customers.
COV has team members across the country who work to identify new opportunities in enterprise tech, big data, cybersecurity, identity, payments, fintech and other sectors.
Some of our investments include: Snowflake, ThoughtSpot, Hopper, and Eightfold.
About the team:
As a member of the Venture Investing team at Capital One Ventures you will support strategy, execution, monitoring, and management for a portfolio of venture capital investments that accelerates Capital One’s strategic priorities. You will focus on our direct investment strategy while supporting initiatives across the Ventures team.
What you’ll do:
As a Technical Investing Associate, you will primarily focus on investments in technical sectors within enterprise technology and cloud infrastructure that are relevant to Capital One.
You’ll be asked to handle a variety of responsibilities, including:
- Sourcing: Map and landscape companies and sectors to drive top-of-funnel outreach and relationship development that generates vetted new opportunities in target categories of technology.
- Execution: Manage due diligence, financial analysis, and target evaluation for transaction opportunities, including preparation of investment memos, oversight of legal negotiations, and management of deal execution processes.
- Business Development: Collaborate with Capital One to identify and scope opportunities and sectors of interest, including development and presentation of investment theses and opportunities pertaining to specific strategic areas of technology relevant to Capital One.
- Portfolio Monitoring: Engage proactively in strategic planning and portfolio development, including leading periodic data collection, contributing to portfolio reporting and artifacts, developing commercial opportunities with portfolio companies, and supporting ad hoc analyses related to portfolio management and compliance.
- Cultural Operations: Provide mentorship and partnership to team members across the Ventures organization and serve as a cultural ambassador for the team and Capital One.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 3 years of professional experience in finance, strategy or technology
- 4+ years of experience in venture capital, technology finance, technology product management, engineering, software development, technology corporate development, or technology strategy consulting
- Knowledge of startup technology finance from equity fundraising through monetization
- Knowledge of software development lifecycles and enterprise software sales and procurement
- Demonstrated ability to source, evaluate, and execute venture capital transactions
- Demonstrated ability to partner with engineers and enterprise software developers
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
New York City (Hybrid On-Site): $160,200 - $182,800 for Manager, Venture InvestingSan Francisco, California (Hybrid On-Site): $169,700 - $193,700 for Manager, Venture InvestingCandidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate’s offer letter.
This role is also eligible to earn performance based incentive compensation, which may include cash bonus(es) and/or long term incentives (LTI). Incentives could be discretionary or non discretionary depending on the plan.Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website. Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
We are strategic investors driving the future of data, technology and financial services.