Investment Associate (Venture Capital)
Aura Ventures is the fast-growing Venture Capital arm of Aura Group, a diversified Australasian funds and wealth management business with >$1B of funds under management and advice.
Our mission is to continue to support exceptional founders on their quests to create positive impact through the businesses of tomorrow. We have recently raised our second fund taking our total assets under management to $120m.
Since inception, Aura Ventures has built an enviable track record of high performance across an expanding portfolio of Australian and South-East Asian technology companies across a range of sectors including fintech, sustainability, e-commerce and B2B SaaS.
Our high conviction and thesis led investment approach has allowed us to build a portfolio of companies across a wide range of sectors. Some of these include Shippit, Catapult Sports, Lygon, Gamurs and Harvest B. If this excites you, then please keep reading.
About the role
We have a rare opportunity opening up to join our team in Sydney as an Investment Associate to contribute to the teams growing investing activities within the Australian Venture Capital eco-system. You’ll play a key role across all aspects of the investment process and assist the team continue on its path of backing only the best Australian technology companies.
You’ll be joining a team of investors who are committed to finding and supporting the best founders throughout the formative years of the start-up lifecycle. We are a highly engaged team that blends collaboration and autonomy, and values results and learning over rigid office hours.
You will join the team in leaning in to help each other achieve goals, sharing your knowledge, skills and experience so that we all grow and succeed together.
Responsibilities will include:
- Contributing to the firm’s investment themes through the analysis of market and technology trends
- Owning the opportunities pipeline and work with senior team members to track and report on pipeline metrics
- Assisting in sourcing and screening potential investments
- Leading the preparation of due diligence material and investment committee memos on potential investments including market research, industry dynamics, competitor analysis, working closely with external advisors, building of detailed financial analysis; overseeing data room and Q&A process, working with portfolio executives
- Contributing to investment decisions and supporting senior team members in presenting opportunities to the Investment Committee
- All aspects of the execution of transactions
- Contributing to portfolio management including ongoing monitoring of assets within the firm’s portfolio and relationship building with portfolio company executives
- Supporting investor reporting
- Representing Aura Ventures at external community events
The successful candidate will possess a genuine passion for technology, digital innovation and supporting early-stage start-ups. You will also need to have a curious and analytical mind.
The ideal candidate will also be driven to complete work at the highest standard. Thorough attention to detail will be required in all aspects of the role as well as an ability to communicate appropriately with all stakeholders. Working within a small team, there will be significant opportunities to learn and develop skills and become engrained in the venture capital ecosystem within Australia.
You will be used to working with high degrees of autonomy in a fast-paced environment that is focused on results. An ability to identify, build and convey compelling value propositions and work cross-functionally to deliver them successfully is required to be successful in this role.
In addition to this, you will have:
- Previous experience, either in a Venture Capital Fund, Investment Bank or Start-up
- Strong finance and financial analysis skills
- An understanding of the core business functions within a start-up and the levers available for value creation
- Enjoys reading and learning
- An understanding of the value of highly reliable, curated networks, and enjoy the art of networking.
- Ability to work well in an autonomous environment
- An ability to prioritise work and simultaneously manage multiple workflows
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills including comfort communicating directly with founders and senior management teams
- A desire to consume industry research, digest and distil into publishable content
- Commercial acumen and demonstrated ability to drive outcomes and deliver results
Bachelors or higher
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We believe in founders before everyone else. Aura Ventures is a venture capital firm backing the creators of category defining technology companies.