Market and Policy Lead, MENA
We uplift people and economies around the world through entrepreneurship.
Who We Are
500 Global is a venture capital firm with $2.7B in assets under management that invests in founders building fast-growing technology companies. We focus on markets where technology, innovation, and capital can unlock long-term value and drive economic growth. We work closely with key stakeholders and advise governments on how best to support entrepreneurial ecosystems so startups can thrive.
500 Global has backed over 5,000 founders representing more than 2,700 companies operating in 81 countries. We have invested in 49 companies valued at over $1 billion and 150+ companies valued at over $100 million (including private, public, and exited companies). Our 180+ team members are located in 27 countries and bring experience as entrepreneurs, investors, and operators from some of the world’s leading technology companies
Who You Are
The Market and Policy Lead, MENA advises on, leads and manages 500 Global’s policy and strategy engagements with our public sector partners across the world. While this is a global role, particular focus will initially be placed on our MENA collaborations and public sector partners, with whom we are pioneering a new and exciting approach to holistic national or regional innovation ecosystem advancement.
In this role, you will be a key node interfacing between external stakeholders and 500 Global’s most critical teams, and bringing a policy lens and understanding of public sector strategy to the intersection of these engagements. This includes the Market Strategy team, which executes 500 Global’s entry into new markets; the Market Launch team, through their work delivering our programmatic and education offerings for our public sector partners; and our overall engagement with strategic public sector partners.
In this role, you will lead multiple aspects of our work with our public sector partners, including defining and scoping appropriate policy and strategy collaborations, driving and overseeing them delivery of those collaborations, and managing large teams of project and program delivery specialists, which may include external vendors and consultants. Throughout this process, you will be responsible for building long-lasting, trust-based relationships with our current and prospective public sector partners, and will need an astute sense of the priorities and sensitivities of a complex landscape of public sector stakeholders that have a role in, or are affected by, innovation ecosystems.
In addition to familiarity with public sector policy and strategy (especially in MENA markets) and a deep understanding of innovation ecosystems and how they thrive, you will also need the skills and tools commonly associated with top-tier strategy consultants. These include, but are not limited to, outstanding communication and stakeholder management skills, experience using and customizing strategy approaches, frameworks and tools, underpinned by excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, and a proven ability to plan, manage and track complex, multi-workstream policy and strategy engagements.
This role is partially remote but will require occasional travel to Saudi Arabia and other parts of the MENA region. Candidates in Dubai or the broader MENA region would be preferred for time zone and travel alignment.
- Play a key role in defining, scoping and managing 500 Global’s public sector policy and strategy engagements, from engagement design through to project delivery, production of reports and updates, and continuous stakeholder management
- Advise on, lead and manage innovation ecosystem policy and strategy collaborations involving complex problem-solving, conducting analyses and testing hypotheses on appropriate ecosystem advancement strategies, identifying key insights, and driving actionable recommendations through a data-driven process
- Manage and direct both policy and strategy consultant teams and program delivery teams from overarching project direction to detailed review and feedback of specific workstreams and recommendations
- Serve as a consistent, reliable and proactive thought partner and collaborator with 500 Global’s public sector partners, building our strong and trust-based relationships with our key public sector stakeholders, especially in the MENA region
- Act as a key interface between multiple 500 Global teams, identifying the policy and public sector strategy aspects of relevance to each team and helping to bridge insights across teams
- Ability to oversee multiple complex strategic and practical program delivery workstreams, at both the overarching level of coordination and the more detailed level of directing and reviewing analytically-driven insights and recommendations
- Familiarity with both strategy development/strategy consulting approaches and typical project management of program delivery efforts
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and perform effectively in a highly dynamic work environment
- Ability to handle high volumes of information and processing with high level of accuracy and professionalism
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally and to both oversee and support resources from various teams (both in-house and external vendors) from around the world
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to navigate conflict while speaking with honesty and empathy
- Outstanding client management skills and proven ability to form strong, trust-based relationships with clients, and to understand the priorities, sensitivities, and nuances of a complex landscape of public sector entities related to innovation ecosystems
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, finance, law or related fields
- 5+ years of experience in strategy consulting, in house strategy (ideally working with or managing consultants) or other roles involving complex strategic problem solving
- Proven experience in developing strategic plans and analysis, market research, competitive intelligence, and corporate business development
- A successful track record of developing and driving growth initiatives based on rigorous quantitative and qualitative research and analysis
- Familiarity with MENA markets and public sector dynamics is essential
- Familiarity or work experience in MENA in policy development, the public sector and / or the strategy of national / regional economic development is strongly preferred
- Arabic language skills are a benefit but not required
Your application has been successfully submitted.
500 Global is a venture capital firm with more than $2.7 billion¹ in assets under management that invests early in founders building fast-growing tech...