Analyst, Venture Capital
At BDC, we help Canada and its entrepreneurs create a prosperous, inclusive and green economy. Our mission is to help Canadian businesses thrive by providing financing, capital and advisory services. We’re devoted to Canadian entrepreneurs. We’re also dedicated to our employees. Adaptable. Inspiring. Different. There’s a reason we like to work here, and we think you’ll like it too. Join BDC and help make a difference!
Diversity. Equity. Inclusion. They’re more than just words for BDC. These concepts are foundational to our success and to our ability to attract, retain, mobilize and develop the right talent, as well as to offer a healthy, professional and collaborative environment. We are committed to cultivating and preserving an environment where all employees can thrive, and, for over a decade, we have been recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers and one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, beliefs, experiences, and more.
BDC Capital’s Women in Technology Venture Fund is one of the largest funds in the world dedicated to investing in women led technology companies. The fund is return driven while building a sustainable ecosystem that supports women leaders in technology and investing roles across Canada. This is a team of go-getters who work with entrepreneurs who want to build big things. We are trusted partners to 30 companies in our existing portfolio and a large number of organizations and investors across Canada and around the world to help our companies build exceptional businesses and generate real wealth.
As an Analyst, you are an integral member of our investment team and involved in all aspects of the investment and portfolio management process. You will assist the team in building and managing an existing and growing portfolio of investments, work on new investments and help us build the next fund to support even more women in tech in Canada.
CHALLENGES TO BE MET
Key responsibilities include:
- Tracking/reporting on metrics, monitoring investment portfolios, providing financial, forecasting and statistical analyses, and identifying potential opportunities and issues. Build competitive and market intelligence for existing investments, and provide forward-looking sectoral analysis;
- Assisting in due diligence and prepare internal investment documents as required;
- Managing internal reporting requirements by acting as a liaison with the back-office to perform semi-annual valuations and other requests;
- Assisting in managing the deal pipeline to ensure a high-quality top of funnel;
- Source new investment opportunities, collaborate in the evaluation and assessment of new and follow-on investments and participate in deal execution. Represent the BDC WIT team at conferences and other industry events to build a relevant network of contacts and identify new investment opportunities.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Education and relevant work experience are the following:
- One to four years of work experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, management consulting with technology companies.
- Undergraduate degree in business, engineering or computer science with a preference for MBA.
- Interest in early stage technology ecosystem, startups
- Relevant experience within a startup or emerging technology company
- The ideal candidate will also possess strong networking skills and relationships in the start-up community as well as demonstrated ability in investment management and company analysis.
- Superior skills in financial analysis, financial modeling, research and a keen ability to turn data into actionable insights;
- A team player with strong verbal and written skills and demonstrated ability to produce and deliver clear and concise oral, written and PowerPoint presentations;
- Intellectual curiosity, excellent analytical and synthesis skills, ability to assess the merits of new technologies, size and adoption rates of markets, and competitive forces faced when introducing new products;
- Data-driven and ability to evaluate and value technology-oriented, early-stage businesses and develop independent conclusions and investment theses;
- Excellent organization skills and detailed-oriented with a self-starter mentality and strong attention to detail;
With us, you'll be able to achieve the work/life balance you're looking for, with competitive working conditions and above-market flexible benefits. This includes modern workspaces to work from when you are in our offices, and, for some specific positions, the ability to work remotely, on reserve, and/or within your community.
While we appreciate all applications, we advise that only the candidates selected to participate in the recruitment process will be contacted. If you are a candidate with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the application process, please email us at accessibility@BDC.ca, and include your full name, the best way to reach you, and the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We’re Canada’s largest and most active venture capital investor. Our equity investment approach, expert advice and vast network help Canadian technolo...