Chief Financial Officer
Wangara Green Ventures (the “Fund”) is an SEC-licensed Venture Capital Fund that invests between GHS500,000 and GHS5,000,000 in green Small and Growing Businesses (SGBs) with a positive climate impact and job creation potential. The Fund aims to invest quasi-equity instruments in these green SGBs and assist them in achieving their environmental and social impact while ensuring long-term profitability. The Fund’s priority sectors include climate-smart agriculture, renewable energy, energy efficiency, waste management, water management, and other climate-friendly businesses.
The Fund seeking a strategic, resourceful, and innovative person to join its entrepreneurial executive team as a Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
B. Job Description:
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the CFO will be responsible for financial management, investor relations and reporting, including the following:
- Developing the fair market value (FMV) valuation for the portfolio in accordance with IFRS.
- Managing the Fund’s outsourced back-office relationship.
- Managing capital calls and overseeing notices and collections.
- Managing and coordinating the annual audit and tax returns of the Fund.
- Coordinating with tax accountants and back office to calculate tax distributions.
- Maintaining and expanding the Fund’s employee benefits offerings.
- Ensuring adequate and cost-effective insurance coverage.
- Maintaining and safeguarding the assets of the Fund by implementing financial controls.
- Negotiating and managing vendor relationships and payment invoices.
- Owning the Fund’s expense policy and managing reimbursement.
- Manage company credit cards.
- Administer the fund management system.
- Create and maintain fund, portfolio, and investor dashboards.
- Obtain and organize monthly and quarterly financial, legal documents and stock certificates for each portfolio company investment.
- Maintain up-to-date tables of the capital structures for all portfolio company investments.
- Update various online third-party databases to reflect investment activity.
- Audit portfolio company directors’ and officers’ insurance policies for compliance with requirements.
- Ensure the Fund is in full compliance with applicable regulatory requirements and government filings.
- Coordinate legal processes for fundraising, including the final execution of all LP documents.
- Maintain and develop HR policies and coordinate all legal documents with employees.
- Coordinate with outside counsel on ad-hoc legal matters.
Fundraising & Investor Relations
- Coordinate regular LP communications, including quarterly and annual report distribution.
- Respond to ad-hoc LP requests regarding capital calls, commitments, compliance, tax and other related matters.
- Coordinate the fundraising activities of the Fund.
- Identify potential funders and develop funding applications.
- Assist with diligence requests during fundraising.
- Maintain performance metrics in coordination with back-office service providers.
- Oversee the production of timely and accurate financial statements by the portfolio companies.
- Support the firm’s portfolio companies in the areas of contracts, personnel issues, legal compliance, legal matters, and other issues as required.
- Actively work with the senior management teams of the portfolio companies on key strategic issues and projects that require additional management expertise.
- Serve as a Director of some of the portfolio companies or as a member of a committee of the Board of Directors of a portfolio company.
Portfolio Support (as and when required)
- Participate in strategy sessions of the various portfolio companies.
- Participate in the financial analysis of the various portfolio companies.
- Participate in the tax management and tax planning of the holding companies and their investments and the tax planning of affiliates.
- Assist in the acquisition and divestiture of investments by portfolio companies.
- Support portfolio companies in negotiations with customers and suppliers.
- Support real estate negotiations, management, and administration for portfolio companies.
- Support and participate in the management of the banking, non-bank financing and insurance relationships of the portfolio companies.
- Support the capital raise activities of portfolio companies.
- To undertake and perform such other duties and functions as may be assigned to him/her by the CEO.
C. Qualification and experience:
- Masters in Finance, Masters in Business Administration, or a Professional certificate in finance, such as CFA, CIMA, or ACCA, is required.
- 7+ years of experience in financial operations of a private fund, preferably a VC fund.
- Completing the GISI or GSE Securities Course is an advantage.
- A certificate in impact investing is an advantage.
- Experience in the Venture Capital, Private Equity, or Fund Management industry is an advantage.
- Extensive direct business experience with operating businesses at the director level within the finance function.
- Experience with and scaling startups and small and growing businesses.
- Experience with private company valuation.
D. Desired skill set:
- Good communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Highly analytical with strong attention to detail.
- Proactive, cooperative and a team player.
- Strong commercial awareness and judgement.
- High sense of integrity, confidentiality, and professional ethics.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Good knowledge of the Ghanaian private fund industry and regulations.
- Understanding of the International Private Equity and Venture Capital Valuation (IPEV) Guidelines.
- Familiarity with the Institutional Limited Partners Association (ILPA) Due Diligence Questionnaire.
Location: The job will be based in Accra but will require limited travel to other regions.
Suggested start date: January 1st, 2024.
Interested candidates should apply on LinkedIn by November 24, 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Wangara Capital Partners is an impact investment firm currently launching a climate-focused fund in Ghana.