Associate, Venture Creation, ClimateTech
Diagram is looking for a Venture Creation Associate who will ideate, de-risk, and launch ClimateTech ventures through our new dedicated fund.
What we are looking for
We are looking for unique individuals who share our passion, deep interest in climate and sustainability, and a burning desire to build new innovative businesses. The successful candidate will be driven to do great work and eager to develop both their entrepreneurial and investor skills. They will embrace this role as a meaningful way to generate significant positive impact on our planet and humanity. Reporting to Diagram’s ClimateTech Venture Creation Principal, the successful candidate will work directly with Diagram partners, potential company founders, and expert advisors to lead the development, evaluation, de-risking, and launch of new ventures.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Develop in-depth investment theses and perspectives on climate-themed opportunities based on market trends, regulatory changes, and new technology developments
- Identify theses-related customer pain points through deep customer research and generate product and business model ideas addressing those pain points
- Validate those ideas against Diagram’s investment criteria through user and market research, perform market sizing, analyze competitive landscape, assess business models and unit economics, and validate underlying technologies soundness, commercial readiness, and scalability
- Generate and pitch validated venture ideas to Diagram’s Investment Committee to obtain pre-seed funding
- Own the work plan and lead the de-risking of ventures during the pre-seed phase (e.g. securing pilot customers, build MVP in collaboration with engineering, scientific, and industry experts);
- Pitch ideas to entrepreneurs and participate in the idea and venture matching process
- Help matched founders to ramp up on your venture ideas and support them in building their team
- Contribute to building Diagram's brand in the community (e.g. networking with other VCs, attending startup community events, conferences, etc)
You should have:
- 3-5+ years of work experience in relevant fields such as:
- Consulting or investment roles focused on technology, energy, operations, engineering and/or sustainability at a top firm
- Early-stage startup experience incl. C-suite, product management, strategy, or engineering
- Venture building at a venture studio
- Early-stage and thesis driven venture capital
- A track record of outstanding performance
- A proven entrepreneurial mindset, high degree of ownership and a self-starter mentality
- Intellectual curiosity and rigor
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) - be comfortable pitching ideas, prospecting and selling, and inspiring others
- Ability to produce high quality content (memos, presentations) for both internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to build financial models and conduct market sizing
- A technical (Engineering, Science, Economics) degree, or proven ability to quickly ramp up on complex industries and / or technical concepts
- Most importantly, a love and passion for sustainability!
Diagram is a venture builder that connects ideas, founders, and capital to build the next generation of tech-enabled companies. We have proven our unique model with 22 ventures launched over the past 7 years, which have created >$1.5B in shareholder value and employed 1,000+ people across the portfolio. We’ve teamed up with world-class founders to launch a number of category-leading companies, including Dialogue, Nesto, ClearEstate and Synctera, and we continue to build in spaces that demand radical transformation.
Solving the global climate crisis means reinventing virtually every aspect of our daily lives, from how we travel, to how we power our homes, to the food we eat. While much of the fundamental technology has been developed, there aren’t enough companies commercializing it. This is where we aim to contribute, by applying our unique venture building model to accelerate company creation. We aim to build 10 ventures over the next 4 years that mitigate the drivers and impacts of GHG emissions.
To launch industry-disruptive companies, we need people from all backgrounds and walks of life. As such, we are committed to creating diverse and inclusive teams, and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
What we offer:
- An essential role in something big, meaningful and different;
- The opportunity to push yourself, have ownership and impact;
- A team of accomplished, ambitious and supportive individuals that will help you grow;
- An ecosystem with many stretch opportunities including the potential to join a Diagram portfolio company;
- Competitive compensation, including upside in the companies Diagram creates;
- Beautiful office in a great location with flexible remote work policy;
- Generous benefits including a telemedicine service for your and your family.
Connecting ideas, founders, and capital to build companies.