Venture Capital Associate - Private Investing
American Century Investments® is a leading global asset manager focused on delivering investment results and building long-term client relationships while supporting research that can improve human health and save lives. Founded in 1958, the firm’s 1,400 employees serve financial professionals, institutions, corporations, and individual investors, offering a wide range of investment strategies across a variety of investment disciplines.
We are committed to providing institutional-quality, actively managed solutions with a performance-centered mindset. Our expertise spans global growth equity, global value equity, disciplined equity, multi-asset strategies, global fixed income, venture capital, alternatives, and ETFs.
Privately controlled and independent, we focus solely on investment management. This empowers us to align our decisions with client expectations and concentrate on their long-term money management needs.
Our culture of winning behaviors exemplifies our dedication to clients every single day. Delivering investment results enables us to distribute over 40% of our dividends—more than $1.8 billion — to the Stowers Institute for Medical Research, a 500-person, non-profit basic biomedical research organization with a controlling interest in American Century Investments. Our dividend payments provide ongoing financial support for the Institute’s work of uncovering the causes, treatments, and prevention of life-threatening diseases, like cancer.
For more information, please visit americancentury.com.
The primary responsibility of the Venture Capital Associate is to support the Private Investing team in a variety of investment and operational capacities. Our Private Investing team is led by a group of professionals responsible for sourcing, evaluating, and managing investments in privately held, early-stage companies with a focus on healthcare and climate. Responsibilities for the associate will include:
- Conduct in-depth analysis of prospective companies, assessing their financials, market potential, technology, team, and competitive landscape to evaluate investment viability.
- Create financial models and capitalization tables to project the potential returns and risks associated with investments, including valuations, revenue projections and exit scenarios. Support fundraising and quarterly reporting and other operational needs. Monitor and provide ongoing support to senior investment team and their portfolio companies, which may involve attending board meetings, assisting with strategic decisions, and helping with follow-on funding rounds.
- Identify and research potential investment opportunities by networking, attending industry events and reviewing business plans and pitch decks from start ups.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and market developments to inform investment strategies.
Working as a member of the Private Investing team, the associate will have the opportunity to learn from experienced Venture Capital professionals and grow as an investor. Through corporate access, the individual will be able to meet with various levels of management with investee companies.
- Strong understanding of financial concepts such as valuation methods, financial modeling, and due diligence.
- Strong quantitative background and be able to handle a heavy workload with accuracy and promptness.
- Highly proficient in Excel and PowerPoint; particularly with capitalization tables and creating pitch decks.
- Passion for making a positive impact through private capital markets
- Highly motivated, intelligent self-starter with the ability to work independently and as a member of the team with minimal direction.
- Able to determine priorities, plan, organize, and follow-through on assignments while providing consistent top-quality output.
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in written form with high accuracy and attention to detail.
- Open-minded, logical, determined, and highly ethical partnered with passion, creativity, intellectual curiosity, and financial analysis skills.
- 5+ years of experience in a role that required astute analysis and organization
- 3+ years industry experience preferred (for example, previously worked at a start-up, venture firm, investment bank, or within asset management).
- Undergraduate degree required; preference for science, engineering, economics, or business programs.
As a global firm with offices in several cities, we will uphold any local regulations regarding COVID-19 precautions and/or vaccination requirements for the workplace. Based on work location, you may be required to submit proof of having received the final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to the position start date unless you have obtained a reasonable accommodation.
American Century Investments is committed to complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable Equal Employment Opportunity laws and regulations. As such, American Century strives to provide a reasonable accommodation to any qualified individual under the ADA to perform essential job functions.
American Century Investments believes all individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunity and advancement opportunities without regard to race, religious creed, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age for individuals forty years of age and older, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, and any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local laws.. ACI does not discriminate or adopt any policy that discriminates against an individual or any group of individuals on any of these bases.
American Century Investments® is a leading asset manager focused on delivering investment results and building long-term client relationships while su...