(Senior) Investment Manager
Burda Principal Investments (BPI) is a leading growth investor. We back world-class, consumer-facing digital and technology companies driven by our deep market expertise in areas including marketplaces & platforms, fintech and innovative digital commerce. BPI is an active and supportive investor and we bring operational experience, hands on value-add and integrity to all our investment activities. Our portfolio includes successful start-ups such as Vinted, Bloom&Wild, Arive, Carsome and Nord Security.
We are international and diverse with 20 investment professionals across offices in Munich, Berlin, London & Singapore. Being part of leading media and tech company Hubert Burda Media, we also have access to a wide network of expertise and assets across the globe. At BPI, we play as a team, and win as a team. We aim to make each other better investors by remaining curious and challenging our own thinking and we are willing to go to great lengths to arrive at the right investment decision.
We are hiring a full-time (Senior) Investment Manager to join us in our Berlin team and expand our presence in Germany’s capital. Your mission will be to drive all stages of a venture capital life cycle – from deal sourcing to investment processes, portfolio management and internal team development. The right candidate will be an energetic self-starter who demonstrates a “can-do” attitude, curiosity & passion for the VC & start-up ecosystem and relevant professional experience and network.
- Deal sourcing: Continuously screen and evaluate incoming investment opportunities, proactively source potential deals in Europe for BPI and drive our investment thesis with rigorous deal flow management.
- Deal execution: Manage & run end-to-end deal processes for potential investments and perform thorough due diligence, including, but not limited to, market & competitor analyses. Produce high quality output with a good degree of analytical rigor.
- Market trends and research: Develop independent investment theses and expertise around sectors, as well as market and valuation intelligence.
- Portfolio management: Lead post-deal and portfolio management including strategic and operational initiatives; engage with portfolio companies’ leadership teams to help create value for their businesses; analyse operational forecasts and business strategies for active investments.
- Network: Leverage existing relationships and draw on network to expand our footprint in Berlin & presence within the start-up ecosystem. Represent BPI externally at events (offline & online).
- Team development: Be an active member of our entrepreneurial team and Berlin office, take ownership of internal projects and drive improvement initiatives.
- 5-6+ years of relevant experience in venture capital, strategy consulting, or private equity. Professional experience at a high growth digital start-up is a plus.
- Great attention to detail and proficiency analysing company financials, performing valuation analysis and financial modelling.
- Committed work ethic, strong desire to learn and proactive & outgoing nature.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills to communicate across diverse teams and with a variety of different stakeholders.
- Strong and demonstrable ability to build trustful relationships with founders, other investors, and the wider start-up community.
- Passion for venture capital and entrepreneurs, solid business building and investor mind-set.
- Team-oriented attitude, capability to work well in distributed teams and in remote working environments.
- English, German speaking, other language is a plus.
What we offer:
- Joining our team means taking on challenging tasks, creating impact and contributing to the success of our rapidly growing investment unit and the portfolio of companies we support.
- You will gain deep learning and hands on experience in dynamic investment processes, coaching and mentoring within our experienced investment team and access to a wide international network.
- We offer strong professional growth support and competitive compensation for this type of VC role.
BPI is committed to providing equal opportunity within the hiring process and a respectful, safe, and welcoming environment for everyone who works with us, regardless of their gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race, age, or religion (or lack thereof).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We invest to create long-term capital gains. Free of the rigid limitations of holding periods and other fund structures, we can support growth opportu...