Director, Portfolio Services
Kapor Capital is an early stage venture capital firm based in Oakland, CA that invests predominantly in seed stage technology companies whose core business simultaneously generates strong economic value and positive social impact. Specifically, we look for companies that are addressing the lack of access and opportunity for underserved communities especially low-income communities and/or communities of color or companies who are bringing about the disruptive democratization of a sector. Investment sectors include, but are not limited to: education, financial inclusion, health, people operations, and justice. Kapor Capital has more than 100 companies in its portfolio, including Twilio, Binti, Joonko, TomoCredit, Blocpower and Promise.
We are known for achieving top quartile financial returns while simultaneously creating social impact through closing gaps, as detailed in our 2022 Impact Report. Our focus on diversity and inclusion in the tech and VC ecosystem is also one of our hallmarks; we were the first venture capital firm to implement a Founders’ Commitment in 2016.
Kapor Capital is seeking to hire a Director of Portfolio Services to work in partnership with the investment team to help the tech startups we have funded.
For Kapor Capital, success for our portfolio companies means:
- Creating an inclusive and welcoming culture and becoming an employer of choice for employees from a wide range of backgrounds;
- Achieving a high degree of gap-closing social impact in the core business; and
- Creating positive financial outcomes.
We are looking for someone who has empathy for both founders and investors, passion for diversity and inclusion, and great organization and communications skills. We are looking for someone who can develop and ship programs (e.g., workshop series) and support resources, working closely with our portfolio company founders, and shaping strategy for how to develop and grow our programs.
- Build, adapt, expand, and execute on programs and workshops for our founders and portfolio companies to learn and connect
- Work with Investment Team to understand portfolio companies and their respective needs
- Organize events (speakers, workshops, roundtables, retreats, meetups) for our portfolio as a whole and sub-groups such as EdTech or Healthcare Tech companies, founders of color, companies raising a Series A, and women founders
- Organize and manage the Founders’ Summit, bringing together portfolio founders from around the country and organizing an engaging event for learning how to grow their companies, networking, addressing pain points , etc.
- Work with our Communications Team to evangelize and showcase the portfolio companies (e.g. press articles, conference panels)
- Manage all communications with our portfolio company founders including our bi-weekly newsletter and founder Google group
- Identify opportunities for Kapor Capital and our portfolio companies to promote our gap-closing social impact investment thesis
Diversity & Inclusion
- Work with senior colleagues in our sister organizations: Kapor Center (our philanthropic, research and civic engagement arm) and SMASH (STEM-focused college access non-profit). Kapor Capital collaborates with these organizations to offer services that help portfolio companies (e.g. Summer Associates program) and diversify the VC/tech ecosystem (e.g. pitch competitions, networking events.)
- Manage and maintain Kapor Capital Master Portfolio Company Database (Affinity)
- Develop, manage, and track portfolio Company Annual Benchmark Survey
- Analyze state of portfolio to identify trends by stage, sector, etc.
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- Demonstrated operational experience in a venture capital firm or startup accelerator program
- The ability to understand trends in the startup ecosystem, spot what’s coming next and create strategies to best take advantage of these opportunities
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- A passion for working in innovative environments, and can thrive in ambiguity
- A desire to improve processes and systems
- Shared commitment to building social impact companies, and supporting entrepreneurs, especially from underrepresented backgrounds
Nice to Have
- Former founder experience highly desired
- Great network of entrepreneurs, co-investors and other members of the tech startup/VC ecosystem
- Understanding of impact investing space
- Previous founder or early employee at a tech startup
- Experience putting together programs or projects, or shipping products. Organizing and executing as a leader on specific projects/products/programs, ideally from start to finish
- Strong tech ecosystem networks, with any combination of technical talent and underrepresented people of color talent. Some examples include but are not limited to:
- serving as a Program Manager or Director of an accelerator program
- active involvement in organizations such as the Latinas in Tech and / or Black Founders or comparable organizations
- Post-COVID, ability to meet with team on a regular basis in Oakland
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories”, Kapor Capital also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g. stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Kapor Capital.
- We Close Gaps, Open Doors, and SMASH Barriers
- We Value Tech as a Tool to Scale Social Impact
- We Lead with Racial Justice and Reflect the Communities We Serve
- We Honor Distances Traveled, Not Just Finish Lines
- We Challenge with Urgency, Respect, and Purpose
- We Don’t Just Talk. Positive Intent Must Lead to Positive Action
The Kapor Center provides competitive compensation commensurate with experience, and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, paid time off, 401k, volunteer time and flexible spending accounts (i.e. parking, transit, medical and dependent care). Our collaborative office is located in Oakland’s dynamic Uptown District.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We invest in early stage startups that close gaps of access for all.