Investment Manager, Africa
Capria Ventures is a global investment firm leading, partnering with and funding the largest network of emerging market fund managers collaborating to deliver superior returns and scaled impact. Capria brings venture capital innovation and global best practices to local venture capital, private equity and innovative debt funds, managed by local investment firms.
Capria’s network of investing partners collectively manage more than USD $400 million in assets deployed in early stage and early growth companies in Africa, Latin America, and Asia. Capria invests in funds as well as in companies via its network fund. Capria is headquartered in Seattle, WA, USA and also has team members based in Washington D.C., Santiago, Paris, Bangalore, and Nairobi. More at: https://capria.vc
Overview of Responsibilities & Objectives
Capria is seeking a highly qualified, entrepreneurial, and self-directed investment professional to lead our investment and overall operational activity throughout Africa. The Investor Manager will also lead and co-lead select global transactions as we scale up our investment activity in both funds and companies.
Capria Network fund managers have a regional presence in North, Eastern, Western, and Southern Africa. As Investment Manager, you will be an integral part of the Capria investment team as we deploy capital from our current fund and prepare to raise our next fund for which we are targeting to raise USD $200M. You will work closely with Capria’s leadership team and be involved in virtually all aspects of our work including sourcing partnering opportunities, supporting our fund manager selection process, sourcing and leading co-investment deals, leading due diligence on deals, and ensuring value creation within our portfolio to deliver targeted returns, and driving local business operations.
Experience and Capabilities
The most vital areas of experience for a successful candidate include:
- Experience working and investing throughout Africa, or at a minimum in Eastern Africa with some experience in another region, with strong, relevant business relationships established in multiple countries. We know investing globally; we need someone who knows how to lead across the complexity of Africa.
- Demonstrably-relevant, direct early-stage to early-growth investing experience in Series A and/or Series B equity rounds (preferably 8+ years). We are looking for someone with credibility in making sound investment decisions, as evidenced by deal performance and professional recommendations. To be credible with CEOs and with our fund manager partners, you must have shown you have been an effective, value-add investor. Fund investing experience is a plus though not required.
- Experience in a start-up environment or equivalent. We’re not a large PE firm with unlimited resources – we’re looking for someone who knows how to get a lot done, with limited resources, and quickly. We have big ambitions to grow to $1B in AUM – we’re looking for someone to play an integral part in our growth.
Key personal skills and abilities include:
- Demonstrated aptitude as a fast learner of new skills and knowledge and a strong aptitude for using state-of-the-art technology for info sharing & communications.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively synthesize complex information, exercising advanced critical thinking to deliver recommendations and solutions.
- Strong aptitude for working effectively with a global team and with global partners.
- Exception analytical rigor along with the ability to build, nurture, and cultivate relationships with prospective/current network partners.
The challenging, Hands-on, Leadership Role
The best candidate will contribute expertly in the following areas:
- Sourcing, Screening, and Closing Investment Opportunities: Capria has reviewed fund manager proposals from over 60+ countries with the largest number of proposals coming from Africa. You will lead our sourcing and transaction efforts throughout the continent, managing the DD process end to end, to ensure we are investing in the best fund managers and great direct deals through our warehousing and co-investment programs.
- Portfolio/Network Development & Support: You will work closely with fund managers in Capria Network to ensure they are well-positioned for success. You will be the primary investment team lead for each of our engagements with managers throughout Africa working diligently to grow NAV, MOIC, and impact across our portfolio.
- Fundraising: Capria is currently preparing to raise Capria Fund II (targeting US$200M) to expand our investing in Africa and other regions. In addition to the Capria Fund II, we provide direct fundraising support to each fund manager in our portfolio.
- Business Operations: You will manage and support operations ensuring we run an efficient and accountable organization. You will be responsible for capturing relevant information to ensure value-added services can be delivered to fund managers and our portfolio of direct investments. You will also be responsible for making sure we have adequate information to effectively report on our progress to our investors for our investment activity across the continent. Additionally, you will oversee a Senior Analyst and at least one investing fellow, with the team slated to grow modestly over the next few years.
- Ecosystem Development: We are looking for someone well connected throughout the industry as we continue to more deeply expand our network while advancing relationships with industry associations and other key ecosystem stakeholders throughout the region.
Education and International Experience
The successful candidate will have an MBA or equivalent work experience and will have at least 3 years of experience working for a multi-national and/or working abroad in addition to the investing and start-up experience referenced above, thus having a strong understanding of global best practices in business operations.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Leading venture network investing in extraordinary tech startups of the Global South.