Director, Strategy & Investments
Open your future to incredible career potential. Work for an industry-leader who invests in their people. Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits is North America’s preeminent wine and spirits distributor, as well as a family-owned, privately held company with a 50+ year legacy of success. We were named by Newsweek as a Most Loved Workplace and are included on the Forbes lists for Largest Private Companies and Best Employers for Diversity.
As a full-time employee, you can choose from a full menu of our Top Shelf Benefits, including comprehensive medical and prescription drug coverage, dental and vision plans, tax-saving Flexible Spending Accounts, disability coverage, life insurance plans, and a 401(k) plan. We also offer tuition reimbursement, a wellness program, parental leave, vacation accrual, paid sick leave, and more.
At Southern Glazer’s, you’ll enjoy an environment where continuous learning and growth are supported and experience a culture where you are respected, and your voice is heard. If you’re looking to fill your glass with opportunity, come join our FAMILY.
The SG Ventures (SGV) team is focused on identifying, building, and investing in new growth engines for Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits (SGWS), the world's pre-eminent distributor of beverage alcohol. The SGV Strategy & Investments team is the corporate venture capital arm of SGWS. Our mission is to accelerate the evolution of beverage alcohol and adjacent industries by investing and developing strategic relationships with innovative and forward-thinking companies and founders.
The Director, Strategy & Investments, SG Ventures, is responsible for managing and executing on the strategic and commercial goals for portfolio investments and relationships. These ventures and initiatives can be a mix of strategic relationships and investment deals as well as new business models and initiatives. This individual will also support initiatives to scope, pilot, and evaluate potential venture opportunities which support SGWS’s growth priorities. The Director will be expected to collaborate with functions and executive leaders across SGWS and externally. The individual must have exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills as well as communication and stakeholder management experience.
Note: This position reports to the VP, Strategy & Investments, SG Ventures.
- Lead, manage, and execute on the partnership goals and workstreams for specific investments and strategic relationships, including:
- Managing relationship with external partner
- Internal stakeholder management, communication, and socialization of goals and workstreams
- Scope, launch, and manage any pilot opportunities
- Measure and track success of pilots, projects, and opportunities launched
- Identify additional opportunities and joint ventures to explore and launch
- Evaluate commercial attractiveness and strategic fit of opportunities and strategic partnerships
- Identify strategic opportunities relevant for SGWS
- Support evaluation of benefits and risks of investment
- Develop presentations and analyses required to drive commercial and executive decisions
- Collaborate and coordinate with SGV team members, cross-functional leaders, and external leaders and working teams
- Develop new processes, ways of working, and frameworks to support new opportunities
- Participate in industry, technology, and adjacent sector conferences to identify new areas and initiatives to explore
Additional Primary Responsibilities
- Bachelor's Degree Required (business administration, finance, engineering, or other industry related curriculum)
- MBA Preferred
- Experience managing partnerships, leading strategic initiatives and pilots, developing and executing new business models, and/or driving new commercial initiatives
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of business fundamentals, strategy, and business finance
- Excellent interpersonal skills and stakeholder management skills to build relationships across departments and externally
- Strong communication, content development, and presentation skills
- Creative way of thinking and interest and willingness to learn and apply new skills in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work effectively in a remote team
- Experience working in collaborative team environment
- Ability to excel in ambiguous and fast paced unstructured environment
Preferred Skills And Background
- Experience working in the beverage alcohol industry
- Experience advising and/or working with start-ups
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Physical demands with activity or condition for a considerable amount of time include sitting and typing/keyboarding using a computer (e.g., keyboard, mouse, and monitor) or adding machine
- Physical demands with activity or condition may include occasional to rare amount of time include walking, bending, reaching, standing, and stooping
- May require occasional lifting/lowering, pushing, carrying, or pulling up to 20lbs
- Critical nature of this job may require extended hours, overtime and weekends
Southern Glazer's Wine and Spirits, an Affirmative Action/EEO employer, prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Southern Glazer's Wine and Spirits provides competitive compensation based on estimated performance level consistent with the past relevant experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and education of employees. Unless otherwise expressly stated, any pay ranges posted here are estimates from outside of Southern Glazer's Wine and Spirits and do not reflect Southern Glazer's pay bands or ranges.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SG Ventures (SGV) team is focused on identifying, building, and investing in new growth engines for Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits (SGWS), the...