As Connecticut's strategic venture capital arm and one of the most active investors on the eastern seaboard, CI has a portfolio of 220+ companies across various industries, with strengths in life sciences, technology and climate tech. CI meets with hundreds of companies every year, identifying the most promising early-stage companies looking to grow in the state. Every year, CI, a quasi-public organization, invests in 20+ new companies, in addition to providing follow-on capital to existing portfolio companies. CI invests and plays an active role in supporting these ventures.
- CI has invested $620 million in innovative startups since 1995.
- CI’s leveraging power is 9X, or $5.6 billion.
CI invested $42.2 million in 71 companies in the fiscal year (FY 2023) ending June 30, 2023. CI’s investments also attracted an additional $454.5 million in outside capital into its portfolio companies. This fiscal year generated $38.2 million in cash proceeds through company exits, which includes acquisitions and IPOs.
During the past two fiscal years, CI officially launched two new funds, the $100 million ClimateTech Fund and the $50 million Future Fund, both of which are actively deploying dollars into early-stage companies. In addition to these new funds, CI launched the Innovation Lab to match and fund pilots between state agency partners and CI’s scalable portfolio companies, expediting the pilot-to-procurement process for innovative technologies.
Our culture is vibrant, diverse, collaborative and inclusive. We embrace perspective and have mission alignment on our impact to Connecticut’s innovation ecosystem. We host or participate in over 20 ecosystem events per year, and our headquarters at The District in New Haven is a catalyst for partnership and an innovation ecosystem community hub.
We're looking for Connecticut Innovations' (CI) next marketing intern. This roll-up-your-sleeves position will quickly immerse you into the world of venture capital and will train you to think and act like an entrepreneur. We operate a lean team, quite intentionally, so we are always planning the next while executing the current marketing activities. In this role, you will have the chance to interact with early-stage companies; plan, execute and attend networking events; and assist with various marketing activities while working in an innovative and fast-paced environment in New Haven.
Candidates should be currently matriculating in a bachelor's degree program that is determined to be appropriate preparation for employment in the marketing field and have demonstrated experience in marketing/communications through their coursework, prior internships, work experience and/or extracurricular activities.
The hourly rate for this position will be $20 per hour. The intern will be located at our New Haven office located at 470 James Street, although some travel throughout Connecticut may be necessary.
- Assisting with marketing for CI's programs and services
- Supporting the execution of marketing and communications plans
- Drafting internal staff updates, as well as email marketing communication
- Crafting updates for internal and external display throughout the office
- Drafting website updates
- Website maintenance/updates uploading to WordPress CMS
- Social media monitoring and execution
- Performing various event management tasks
- General administrative duties
- Proofreading and editing
- Assisting in various duties as needed
- Marketing research and data analytics
- Other marketing-related tasks as needed
Skills & Competencies
- Detailed, action-oriented person who takes initiative to follow-up on items
- Ability to digest information quickly
- Can demonstrate impact in a short time
- Strong execution, attention to detail and fearlessness.
- A seeker and learner mentality
Connecticut Innovations is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We welcome all candidates to apply regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, genetic information or protected veteran status.
We are Connecticut's venture capital arm and the leading source of financing and ongoing support for innovative, growing companies.