Partner 22, Marketing, Games
Founded in Silicon Valley in 2009 by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, Andreessen Horowitz (known as "a16z") is a venture capital firm that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to venture to late-stage technology companies, across bio + healthcare, consumer, crypto, enterprise, fintech, games, and companies building toward American dynamism. a16z has $35B in assets under management across multiple funds.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the company-building process; we know what it’s like to be in the founder’s shoes. We’ve invested in companies like Carry1st, Dapper Labs, Mainframe, Oculus, Overwolf, Sandbox VR, Singularity 6, Sky Mavis, Roblox, RTFKT, Yield Guild Games, Zynga. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping founders and their companies impact and change the world.
For over a decade, a16z has invested in games companies. Today, the firm’s commitment to backing the future of games is stronger than ever following the launch of a $600M dedicated GAMES FUND ONE. We are looking for a brand/product marketing professional with deep games industry expertise to join the games team. Your responsibilities are twofold: 1. Drive brand marketing strategy for the games team and 2. serve as a trusted resource to advise our growing games portfolio.
This is an unique opportunity for an entrepreneurial, strategic, and creative professional to help shape the narrative around a16z games investing and drive conversations around the future of the games industry. In this role, you’ll build and deploy brand marketing and communications plans to position the games vertical and our team as leading voices in the games industry. To achieve our goals, you will work in collaboration with the broader marketing team, including content, events, and social media teams, as well as colleagues across our other operating functions, such as go-to-market and talent. This role will report into the Head of Marketing, Games.
Additionally, a16z marketing partners play a meaningful role in the lifecycle of our portfolio companies by offering timely, honest and practical support at every stage of the startup journey from pre-launch through exit. This role is the best of both worlds for a seasoned brand/product marketing professional, offering the ability to coach and counsel our games portfolio companies, while still applying your operational skills in a growth-oriented environment.
We’re pro-future and pro-technology, and we’re seeking a highly competent and nimble marketing professional who is passionate about the opportunity for new technology to continue to drive innovation and positive change in the world.
To join our team, you should be excited to:
- Lead brand strategy development in collaboration with the games operating and investment teams, engaging and managing creative/communication agencies and contractors as needed.
- Develop and execute marketing plans with the team, leveraging social/digital, content, communications, and in-person events.
- Be a beacon and trusted advisor for dozens of games portfolio companies—you’ll be the specialist they’ll turn to on brand marketing, corporate and product messaging, media relations, issues management, building breakthrough launch strategies, and more.
- Maintain strong relationships with games industry influencers and community groups, podcasts, newsletters, and media with the goal of leveraging these channels for both a16z games initiatives and better supporting our games portfolio companies
- Build strong industry networks and secure high quality brand-building opportunities for partners to write, speak, and lead key conversations
- Act independently with a strong ability to context-shift, and drive meaningful results. You’re an entrepreneurial self-starter who is a lifelong learner, and resilient through change,
- To persuade, influence, and build trust at the executive level across the portfolio and broader games industry network.
- A passion for games and prior games industry experience.
- Minimum of 10+ years experience in brand or product marketing with deep understanding of full stack marketing.
- Demonstrated success building and executing multi-channel marketing and launch strategies for games, inclusive of communication, social, media, events, content, etc.
- Experience building trust and providing counsel to executives and fast-paced teams, as well as creating best practices and playbooks that scale.
- Excellent partnership skills - we are connectors at our core and find joy in building trusted connections within the firm, within our portfolio, and with the industries in which we operate.
- Ability to operate and lead others indirectly and directly, as a player and coach.
- Experience identifying and vetting games-appropriate agencies/consultants across branding, communications, video production, and web design.
The anticipated salary range for this role is between $241,000-$281,000, actual starting pay may vary based on a range of factors which can include experience, skills, and scope.
This role is eligible to participate in the a16z carry program and various discretionary bonus programs as well as benefit and perquisite plans including health, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401K plan, vacation, and sick leave.
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.
Our organization participates in E-Verify. Click here to learn about E-Verify.
Andreessen Horowitz hereby reserves the right to make use of any unsolicited resumes received from outside recruiting agencies and / or individual recruiters without being responsible for payment of any fees asserted from the use of unsolicited resumes.
Andreessen Horowitz (known as "a16z") is a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, California, that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future throu...