SXSW Event Specialist
As an Event Specialist, you will work side-by-side with an Event Manager to plan and execute one of the most exciting events in Austin, SXSW! The life cycle of cornerstone events spans several months and grows in complexity as the event nears. You will be actively involved in all aspects of the SXSW event production from programs and live entertainment to partner deliverables and demos. You will work with the Event Manager to ensure all needs are identified and addressed, this includes everything from booking keynote speakers down to who turns off the lights at the end of the day.
All of our partners are understaffed and can be hard to work with at times. It’s up to us to make them successful – that’s a big reason they choose to keep working with us. Our goal is to provide the type of service you might expect from the Four Seasons or Tiffany’s. We sweat the small stuff. We respect their time. We do whatever it takes and do it with style.
*This is a full-time (~40 hours per week, may vary depending on the week) contract role with a projected end date of 3/31/23.
What you will do…
- Support the Event Manager with all aspects of SXSW planning, from scheduling and budgeting to keeping project materials organized and current.
- Communicate cross functionally with every department involved, to ensure all teams are aligned in goals, status updates, and any new developments.
- Track and execute a wide range of deliverables for a multitude of partners.
- Vendor management: quotes, COIs, scheduling load-in/load-out, accounting, and whatever else may be needed for them to provide the service required as we expect it.
- Look ahead to make sure we’re moving at the pace required to reach each milestone on-time.
- Understand that the biggest challenges may lie in the smallest details. This means you need to be asking the right questions and confirming the people you’re collaborating with have all the information they need to make an informed decision and are poised for success.
You'll know you're successful if....
- Our partners value participation in our events and proactively seek out future opportunities. You accomplish this by making sure the journey is a smooth one, the deliverables are executed as envisioned, and their goals are not only met, but exceeded.
- Your programs are well attended and the participants and sponsors have a high satisfaction rate. This is reflected by high early registration rates and sponsorship opportunities being claimed far in advance.
- Milestones are reached ahead of schedule and with maximum efficiency.
- Partners and sponsors give unsolicited feedback about how great you are to work with and show they mean it by giving us repeat business.
- Your team is successful, proud of their work, and looks forward to the next opportunity to flex their muscle.
- You have a passion for event management.
- You are outgoing and can talk to just about anyone.
- You are a documentor. You make lists and spreadsheets.
- You are a problem solver. You look for ways to make things work better and how to turn chaos into systems.
- You are organized and plan ahead, but you don’t get stressed out when things change at the last minute… because they will. You roll with it.
- You check your email in the evenings and are available to work during evening events and over the weekends when there is a tight deadline. You do what it takes to get the job done.
- You have a reliable laptop computer & smartphone that you are comfortable using for work.
About our team...
- We have a passion for startups and technology.
- We are transparent and we over-communicate.
- We have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- We communicate when we are not able to meet a deadline and suggest a solution.
- We are professional and presentable and greet everyone cheerfully. We’re ready to deal with an immature student, a pushy salesperson, top VC’s, a fortune 500 CEO, and even the President of the United States.
- We are excited to work in downtown Austin and have reliable transportation.
- We have a quiet place where we can work remotely with fast internet, when needed.
- We are security aware. We have a passcode on our computers and phones and use a password manager.
- We are able to efficiently use the Google suite of productivity tools (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides).
- We get to Inbox Zero every day.
- This role has a base pay of $22.50/hour with the expectation of ~40 hours a week; this is a non-exempt contract position.
- Coworking membership at Capital Factory with garage parking space, metro pass, or rideshare credits and access to the onsite gym and pool.
- Bragging rights for hosting one of Austin’s premier SXSW Houses.
- A priceless network
About Capital Factory
Capital Factory is the center of gravity for entrepreneurs in Texas, the number one startup state in the U.S. Hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs, programmers, and designers gather day and night, in-person and online for meetups, classes, and coworking. With boots on the ground in Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, we meet the best entrepreneurs in Texas and introduce them to their first investors, employees, mentors, and customers. According to Pitchbook, Capital Factory has been the most active investor in Texas since 2010.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We meet the best entrepreneurs in Texas and introduce them to their first investors, employees, mentors and customers.