Investment Manager - B2B Software
Established in 2000, Octopus is a group of businesses investing in people, ideas and industries that change the world. You can learn more about us at octopusgroup.com.
At Octopus Investments, we're experts in financial services and we’re also a certified B Corp, meaning we care as much about the impact of our investments as the returns they generate. Today we manage more than £12.4* billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors.
*Funds Under Management data includes undrawn commitments, funds under advisory mandates, funds monitored and the Octopus Cash service as of 31st December 2021
With £1.9 billion under management and investing over £200m a year, Octopus Ventures is one of the largest and most active venture investors in Europe. We back businesses from an idea on a page all the way through a business's journey to exit. Our typical investment is from £100k at pre-seed to £15 million+ for Series B and beyond.
Our investment team is built to specialise in the areas we believe will change the world for the better: B2B software, consumer, biotech, deeptech, fintech, health and climate. We back ‘pioneers’ and use the term very deliberately to carve out that subset of entrepreneurs who are truly breaking new ground. Since 2008 we have backed more than 180 teams, including Zoopla, Depop, WaveOptics, Elvie, ManyPets, Permutive, Quit Genius, Secret Escapes and Cazoo.
We are based in London and New York with a network spanning from San Francisco to China. The companies we back become a part of this network, with access to a formidable resource of experience and expertise.
The B2B Software Team
The Octopus Ventures B2B Software pod is a mixture of experienced investors and commercial operators with experiences at companies such as Amazon, IBM, and KPMG. We are one of the most active investors in UK & Europe, partnering with some of the most exciting B2B software companies at the Seed stage and beyond. We get excited by companies that tackle large but difficult problems – be that a company like Apheris who have built an end-to-end federated learning platform, unlocking the power of 3rd party data for the biggest pharma and manufacturing companies in the world, or Permutive, whose edge computing platform enables publishers and advertisers to reach audiences safely. As a group we are focused on investing in the best software founders and companies in Europe and supporting their growth ambitions globally.
Investment Managers are a core part of the team, helping to identify and partner with the most exciting start-ups from across the European ecosystem as well as supporting the growth of our existing portfolio companies. The role will include but not limited to the below:
- Making new investments:
- Compiling research on exciting industry sectors to identify new opportunities
- Analysing and performing due diligence on companies that fall within our investment criteria
- Scrutinising large volumes of financial information, including interrogation, and building of company financial models
- If not on day one, quickly become an autonomous decision maker, and lead your own investments with the expectation of leading 2-4 new investments per year
- Supporting portfolio companies
- Helping portfolio companies on specific commercial projects and identifying on-going initiatives to support portfolio companies (e.g. funding rounds or interfacing with our specialist talent team)
- Within 6 months of joining, taking on Board Observer and Director roles and work through common Board topics such as setting budgets, discussing strategy or performance management
- Supporting Octopus Ventures
- Establishing and leading strategic initiatives across the investment team
- Increasingly taking a key role in developing and supporting others in the team
While each successful candidate will bring their own experience and personality into the role, we expect you will likely:
- Have a robust track record as a key contributor in an environment such as large tech, start-ups, finance, academia, strategy consulting, law, etc.
- Have an ability to demonstrate B2B Software sector knowledge and passion such that you would be seen as a “specialist”
- Ideally have experience or exposure to making venture capital investments
- Have a demonstrated appetite for accountability and self-reliance
- Exhibit an abnormally high level of curiosity about how the world works
- Have a proven ability to ingest and process large amounts of nebulous information quickly
- Have a proven ability to build trust and rapport with others
- Be commercially-minded and financially literate, albeit formal financial training is not a requirement
In return, Octopus Ventures offers exciting breadth and depth to the role:
- An opportunity to work with some of the most pioneering entrepreneurs in the world and build out a personal network in the ecosystem, supported by a strong brand name
- An incredible learning environment. You will be part of a team that raises and invests hundreds of millions annually. Each year you will be exposed to multiple new/follow-on investments and all sorts of portfolio puzzles
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Sanctus, Parent Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
For the people and ideas that will change the world. It’s entrepreneurs that are driving this change.