Associate, Growth Investments
Growth Investments is the growth-stage investment arm of Novo Holdings, a world-leading life science investor managing over $100bn of assets on behalf of the Novo Nordisk Foundation (the largest enterprise foundation in the world, by assets).
Operating out of Novo Holdings’ San Francisco office, Novo Growth’s purpose is to make sizeable investments in highly innovative, scalable life science companies that have recently reached, or are close to, the commercial stage, with strong long-term potential. Our team focuses on specific investment ecosystems within four industry areas where we have in-house expertise: life science tools and diagnostics; technology within life sciences; industrial biotechnology; and complex manufacturing and supply chain. Our global mandate, flexible investment horizon, and ability to deploy significant capital allow us to continue to support companies as they reach increasing scale with the goal of helping them reach their long-term potential.
For an immediate or near-term start in its San Francisco office, Novo Growth is seeking an Associate who can contribute to the identification, origination, evaluation, diligence, and negotiation of new investments as well as to asset management activities within its growing portfolio. Specific day-to-day responsibilities may include, but are not be limited to, the following:
- Evaluate new investment opportunities and synthesize findings in form of PowerPoint Presentations, Word memos and Excel models for internal discussions
- Take part in preparing all aspects of internal investment documentation in form of PowerPoint presentations, Word memos and Excel models, to be presented to governing bodies of Novo Holdings (e.g., Novo Growth’s Investment Committee and Novo Holdings’ Executive Management)
- Manage projects by taking a lead on scoping and managing the content and timing of relevant due diligence streams (e.g., commercial, financial, legal, IT, operational) related to investment projects and portfolio companies
- Take lead on creating models in Excel to assess new potential and current investments, including all aspects of bottom-up operational forecasting, valuation models (e.g., discounted cash flow valuation, return / hold valuation, and peer group valuation), and capital structure models
- Continuously expand industry expertise through desktop research, external meetings, expert calls, external advisors, and conferences
- Leverage the knowledge and capabilities of the broader Novo Holdings team and collaborate with other departments and colleagues in other locations on investment projects in overlapping industries
We are looking for a candidate with:
- A Bachelor’s degree from a top-tier institution
- 2+ years at a top investment bank
- Strong financial modeling skillset
- An interest in life sciences
- Independent, self-motivated, strong work ethic, and resourceful
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to build good relationships, and works well in teams
- High attention to detail
- Ambitious, proactive, and structured approach to problem-solving
- Strong sense of integrity and high ethical standards
Working at Novo Holdings in the US
We have a respectful and collaborative work culture where your opinion is valued. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome and celebrate individuals of all backgrounds, orientations, and identities. We are family-friendly and provide outstanding benefits, such as 20 weeks of paid leave for non-birthing parents and 32 weeks for birthing parents. We offer a competitive salary package, and you will be trusted with significant operational freedom. You will enjoy the opportunity to be part of a dedicated, international, and dynamic team with diverse backgrounds.
Improving people’s health and the sustainability of society and the planet by generating attractive long-term returns.