Associate, Operational Efficiency
General Atlantic is a leading global growth equity firm with more than four decades of experience providing capital and strategic support for over 495 growth companies throughout its history. Established in 1980 to partner with visionary entrepreneurs and deliver lasting impact, the firm combines a collaborative global approach, sector specific expertise, a long-term investment horizon and a deep understanding of growth drivers to partner with great entrepreneurs and management teams to scale innovative businesses around the world. General Atlantic has over $72.6 billion in assets under management inclusive of all products as of September 30, 2022, and more than 220 investment professionals based in New York, Amsterdam, Beijing, Hong Kong, Jakarta, London, Mexico City, Miami, Mumbai, Munich, San Francisco, São Paulo, Shanghai, Singapore, Stamford and Tel Aviv. For more information on General Atlantic, please visit: www.generalatlantic.com.
The GA Growth Acceleration team is the firm’s in-house consultancy focused on supporting investors across the investment lifecycle, including due diligence and portfolio value creation, with an emphasis on driving profitable growth. The team integrates several core firm value creation capabilities, including market research, data science, digital marketing, pricing optimization, and operational efficiency.
Reporting to the Director–Operational Efficiency within the Growth Acceleration team, the Associate will lead the firm’s sourcing of 3rd party market data, overseeing the full vendor lifecycle management process and ensuring cross-functional coordination to support essential business needs. In addition, the Associate will work directly with General Atlantic’s portfolio companies on various strategic and growth initiatives as it relates to Operational Efficiency. The role will be based in New York.
Due Diligence & Portfolio Support (65% of time)
- Evaluate key diligence questions around OpEx optimization via surveys, expert interviews, and data analysis in collaboration with investment teams
- Support GA’s portfolio companies with key strategic initiatives such as analyzing corporate performance, driving revenue growth and profitability, and synergy development/planning
- Review market research reports and company information to rapidly evaluate market landscape and key strategic differentiators within each company’s business model and operational strategy
- Perform public and private company cost benchmarking (typically General and Administrative, Sales and Marketing and Research and Development) and summarize key findings into client-ready work products
- Research efficiency benchmarks (like Customer acquisition cost, lifetime value, return on marketing investment, cost to serve, etc.) for portfolio companies
- Assist with formation and execution of key practice development initiatives (e.g., research, benchmarking exercises, other weekly recurrent projects)
- Perform spans and layers analysis and compare organizational structure to competitive organizations and benchmarks
- Perform organizational comparisons between GA companies and peers using tools like LinkedIn Talent Insights, Sales Navigator, the Org, etc.
- Develop financial business case to support changes to organizational structure to improve efficiency and effectiveness
Strategy & Operations (25% of time)
- Support annual and quarterly business planning for $20M+ cross-functional budget, including but not limited to data collection and analysis, invoice reconciliation, and working closely with 180+ investment professionals to align on sector/regional market data needs
- Oversee day-to-day operations of an outsourced vendor management team, troubleshooting daily operations, ensuring adherence to firm guidelines, monitoring of cost savings for the firm, and ensuring accurate processing of >300 invoices per year
- Oversee recurring operational responsibilities, including but not limited to quarterly reporting, team meeting management and process oversight, and administrative approvals
- Lead key workstreams to oversee our partnerships, including regular engagement with top tier relationships, internal vendor process management and analytics, and assisting to onboard, maintain and license global services (with the support of our third party vendor)
- Develop analysis of key spending trends, generating cross-cutting lessons-learned and insights to forecast future department spend, and identify resource needs
External Relationship Management (10% of time)
- Assist in managing the firm’s relationships with 90+ existing data vendor relationships, serving as the firm’s direct representative during key phases of the discovery, sourcing, operations and renewal/termination processes
- Manage the firm’s relationship with a third-party procurement team to provide administrative support for the vendor lifecycle, including onboarding, access, usage monitoring, renewal and / or termination
Qualifications & Skills
- BS/BA, with honors strongly preferred
- 2-3 years prior work experience: top tier consulting firm (BCG, McKinsey, Bain, A&M, Alix, Parthenon, etc.) strongly desired; operations, business management, or FP&A experience also considered
- Detail-oriented with exceptional “consultant toolkit” (quantitative ability, communication skills, highly proficient with PowerPoint and Excel)
- Strong quantitative and financial modeling skills are a must
- Prior exposure to operational & commercial due diligence is a plus
- Results-oriented with ability to thrive under ambiguity and time constraints to develop thoughtful, executive-level content
- Comfort in a fast-paced and often changing environment
General Atlantic offers a robust reward program to all employees that will support you and your family, maintaining fulfilling, secure and healthy lives now and into the future, which includes but is not limited to medical insurance, retirement savings contributions, mental and physical health resources and an equal pay program that allows you to earn a base salary of $120,000-$155,000 of which the exact amount offered will be driven by the degree to which you meet role requirements, additional special skills and experience. Additional reward programs, such as annual discretionary bonuses and long-term incentive programs, are available for eligible employees and are offered as recognition for performance and one’s contributions towards the organization’s success.
General Atlantic is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
By completing this application, you are consenting to General Atlantic’s processing and use of your personal data. Information on how General Atlantic will use and process your data can be found here: https://www.generalatlantic.com/privacy-policy/
General Atlantic is a leading global growth equity firm with more than four decades of experience providing capital and strategic support for over 495...