SCOR Ventures is the venture capital arm of SCOR, responsible for both investing in and generating partnership opportunities with start-ups across the risk landscape. Since 2017 we have built a global portfolio across three theses: (1) tech-driven underwriting companies (MGAs, carriers) and distributors, (2) B2B software solutions that solve risk & benefit SCOR and/or our clients, and (3) companies that help people live healthier lives. Our stage preference is Seed through Series B. We are a global team of six from diverse backgrounds working asynchronously across time zones, coming together for team offsites, portfolio board meetings, and industry events
- Identify and analyze opportunities for investment or partnership. Typical reviews will include assessments of the business plan, valuation, market sizing, technology, regulatory and execution risks, etc.
- Work with SCOR’s teams in underwriting, pricing, operations, legal, and other functions to develop theses. Build and maintain robust internal and external networks.
- Be actively involved in the due diligence of new transactions and prepare internal documentation to support the decision-making process.
- Regularly meet with SCOR’s clients, including advising clients on trends and companies they may wish to partner with, as well as helping to manage client-facing projects in partnership with start-ups.
- Contribute to the monitoring and support of portfolio companies post-investment, including various ad-hoc analyses to support portfolio company decision-making.
- Support internal and external knowledge sharing efforts, including content creation for presentations and organizing industry events for colleagues and/or clients.
- Support various team operational needs, including managing materials for investment committee meetings, writing meeting summaries, helping to maintain the team’s start-up database, and preparing periodic internal reports on portfolio performance.
- Both strategic and technical mindsets; ability to synthesize, prioritize, and communicate complex concepts. Good “nose for value.”
- Exceptional cross-functional team skills. Ability to operate in “deal mode” and “project mode” by collaborating with business leaders, clients and partners.
- Willingness to be a thought leader to push your own thinking (and that of others) about what is or is not possible; you don’t wait to be told what to do or how to think
- Professional demeanor to be able to present to, and build relationships with, senior executives at SCOR, at clients, and at partner companies or (prospective) portfolio companies.
- Understanding with the VC investment process, ideally through direct experience in VC – valuation techniques, term sheets, contracts, etc., and ability to produce the same to support deals. Ability to understand the pros and cons of various investment structures and terms.
- Understanding of insurance fundamentals / technical systems and processes of insurance companies is preferred but not required.
- Ability to sort through large amounts of information and identify what is most relevant, then present it either face-to-face or in succinct memos.
- Some travel should be expected (~20%) to SCOR locations, clients, portfolio companies, and conferences.
- University degree or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years’ experience associated with the responsibilities in this job description.
- Spanish and/or Portuguese proficiency is preferred but not required.
- Technical professional qualification (e.g., CFA) preferred but not required.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or range thereof, for roles that will be performed in New York. Actual salaries may vary based on various factors including but not limited to experience, exams passed, and attained designations or certifications. The range listed is just one component of SCOR’s total compensation package for employees. Pay Range: $110,000 - $160,000 salary pay year. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, we provide a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement saving plan, paid holidays and paid time off.
Combining the art and science of risk to protect societies.