Director of Accounting
Anzu Partners is a venture capital and private equity firm that specializes in breakthrough industrial technologies. We provide capital and advisory support to high-growth, high-impact businesses. Anzu Partners has offices in Tampa, FL, Washington, DC, Boston, MA, and San Diego, CA. Our finance team works closely to support our portfolio companies throughout our investment.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced hands-on Director of Accounting with a solid understanding of accounting and GAAP/FAR compliance, who pays close attention to detail and can ensure first-class financial management and accounting across our entities. We are a fast-paced company and desire an energetic candidate that can take on many different roles within the organization. The candidate must display integrity and have a desire for professional growth.
The Director of Accounting / Accounting Manager will report to the Vice President, Finance and Government Accounting of Anzu Partners and assist in supporting our portfolio companies and funds in various industries, states, and countries. He/she will oversee all aspects of accounting, accounts payable/receivable, R&D credits, budgeting, inventory, cost of goods sold, fixed assets, tax and government contract reporting and compliance, cash flow analysis, audits, and financial reporting and analysis. The responsibilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Perform all related accounting functions required to maintain the general ledger in compliance with FAR/GAAP and company policy and procedures
- Responsible for fiscal and compliance matters related to all government contracts
- Support the preparation, monitoring, and reporting under contracts and/or subcontracts including the proposal effort where necessary
- Evaluate accounting for manufacturing processes, evaluating inventory tracking and cost of goods sold, and defining/implementing/maintaining processes as needed
- Oversee Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable processes including entering daily invoices/bills/journal entries/weekly check runs/monthly accruals and special projects for several portfolio companies
- Maintain accounting/corporate records through a paperless filing and retrieval system ensuring past and current records are available as needed and attach documents within the financial system as system allows.
- Evaluate workflow processes and procedures to develop, recommend and implement procedural and system changes to increase accuracy and efficiencies
- Ensure vendor invoices and check requests are paid in accordance with authorization and approval policies and follow up on invoices not approved
- Analyze expenses to evaluate cost cutting opportunities to drive value to the portfolio companies
- Review aging reports and follow up with Customers regarding overdue balances
- Coordinate month-end and year-end closing activities to ensure timely reporting as well as assist with yearly public audits
- Create, plan and prepare financial models and other ad hoc reporting as requested
- Research R&D Credit opportunities for portfolio companies and implement processes
- Responsible for researching, registering and compliance for all state and local tax requirements
- Research nexus requirements and compile sales tax/use tax information and prepare tax returns if necessary
- Assist in creating and maintaining budgets and forecasts
- Generate/analyze/review financial data and generate monthly trend reports and balance sheet reconciliations ensuring financial statement accuracy
- Oversee fixed asset tracking and reconciliations including monthly depreciation
- Train, teach, and develop less experienced team members
- Other cross-functional and cross-team projects as required
Education and knowledge base
- Minimum 7-10 years’ accounting experience
- Experience in For-Profit Government Contracts required
- Manufacturing and related operational accounting a plus
- Sound technical accounting skills
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Working knowledge of GAAP/FAR compliance
- Advanced excel skills
- QuickBooks desktop experience required
- Previous private equity or venture capital experience a plus
- Experience with research and development credits a plus
- Knowledge of international currency exchange transactions a plus
- Motivated to quickly assume ownership of the position
- Must be accurate and detail oriented, possess strong organizational and time management skills, and the ability to manage multiple priorities in a complex and fast paced environment
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across the organization, up and down the ladder of seniority
- Works both independently and with a team
Anzu Partners is an investment firm that focuses on industrial and life science technology companies with the potential to transform their industry.