VP of Finance
Lionheart Ventures is an early-stage global venture capital firm. We invest in the wise development of transformative technologies that enhance humanity's resilience to existential risks while generating meaningful returns for our LPs. We are currently deploying our inaugural $25M fund, and launching our second fund in Q4 which will be focused on transformative AI. Our portfolio houses companies such as Anthropic, Calm and Heart Aerospace, and our LPs include leading venture investors such as Chris Sacca, Tom Chi and Ben Ling.
Lionheart was founded by David Langer, an experienced technology entrepreneur and angel investor. Prior to founding Lionheart, David was an angel investor in over 20 startups and founder & CEO at Zesty, a healthy corporate catering company acquired by Square in 2018. Our second investing partner is Shelby Clark, founding CEO of car sharing marketplace, Turo, and co-founder at Holos Global psychedelic retreat center. We are a remote team of ten dispersed globally, but meet a minimum of twice a year to spend time together in person.
About The Role
Lionheart seeks to bring on a VP of Finance who will be responsible for building and maintaining Lionheart’s financial and administration operations, technical stack, overseeing financial reporting and projections, oversee the management company and management company operations and providing guidance on strategic planning and risk management to the firm. This role will report directly to the Managing Partner of the firm.
This position will help shape the company’s overall vision and business plans, and assist the rest of the management team as needed to ensure successful execution of company objectives. The VP of Finance will provide overall leadership in Financial matters, including budgeting, planning, systems integration and reporting. The company must have finance & reporting operations that are streamlined and high-quality.
This position can be either full-time as an employee of Lionheart, or 3 days per week as a consultant. We are amenable to both options, and encourage candidates interested in either type of role to apply. This role has a clear track to CFO dependent on experience level and job performance.
If you are a seasoned professional with excellent interpersonal skills coupled with strong experience in the area of Finance & Accounting in Venture Capital, we are looking for you.
- Oversee and review the preparation of quarterly fund financial statements by the back office and Controller for multiple funds in one fund family as well as future funds
- Review GP letters/communications for multiple funds and oversee delivery to investors
- Develop a strategic plan and accurate forecasts in line with GP's vision by aligning goals, conducting analysis, implementing initiatives, data-driven forecasting, and adaptable monitoring
- Lead valuation processes for all investments and generate financial metrics for investors quarterly updates
- Oversee Controller in management of capital call and distribution processes to the investors
- Create and update economic models for current and future funds
- Oversee and implement management company operations and best practices alongside Chief of Staff and Controller
- Manage all financing rounds for each new investment including: cap table review, term sheet and docs review working closely with the GPs responsible for the funds
- Prepare financial models and design all the internal reporting metrics necessary to monitor and manage the business operations of this unit
- Manage cash requirements for each fund to ensure that cash is always available for the investing programs and expense obligations of the funds
- Assist with tax returns including K-1’s with outside firms
- Mentor the Controller who will be reporting to you and review all work prepared or provided by the Controller, while also demonstrating willingness to assist as needed
- Efficiently manage relationships and coordination with our legal team, back office, audit, and tax team
- Co-Lead Fundraising process and legal review with GP
- Lead financial, legal and regulatory compliance
- CPA preferred
- 8+ years of finance experience, at least 4 of which are in venture capital
- 3-4 years of experience as a manager or leading a team
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Accounting or Finance degree required
- Extremely organized and detail oriented
- Hands on experience with working, training, and coaching staff
- Ability to provide feedback on best practices to leadership
- Collaborative team player willing to roll sleeves up
Benefits [**full-time employees only]:
- Competitive salary DOE
- Ownership in VC fund via a percentage of carried interest
- Flexible remote work policy, with in person team meetings several times per year in Costa Rica and U.S.
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited and flexible PTO policy
- Opportunity to contribute to one of the most impactful funds globally at an early stage with a talented team deeply passionate about their work
Lionheart Ventures is a global, seed-stage venture capital firm investing in companies that make humanity more resilient.