OneBio Venture Studio is hiring an Investment Principal. OneBio Venture Studio is a Cape Town based biotech Venture Capital (VC) company. It is an entrepreneurial partnership to build and support sustainable biotech companies, stimulate economic growth and provide investment returns. OneBio is South Africa's only biotech specific VC fund and aims to provide biotech startups with funding, networks and strategic assistance to take their science from bench-top to the world.
It is our mission at OneBio to build companies that are original, that are world changing, that push the boundaries of the possible by merging the immense power of biology and technology to solve large global problems.
You will work closely with Dr Nick Walker (PhD) co-founder and managing partner of OneBio as well as Gian-marco Melfi (MSc) Partner at OneBio. Your role will span numerous work streams including, deal scouting, due diligence, post investment company support, administration and financial aspects of OneBio. While these aspects are at the core of your role, we are a small company and there will be many other areas in which you may contribute.
- The ideal candidate will have a background in the sciences, ideally at a PhD level as a fundamental understanding and ability to undertake desktop research across an array of life sciences is crucial in evaluating prospective biotechnology investment opportunities.
- Abilities to explore and understand scientific literature as well as expertise in writing scientific manuscripts with associated level of attention and diligence.
- Analytical and open-minded: We have a strong preference for someone with high intellectual horsepower who can synthesise complex data into simple insights and wouldn’t hesitate to question conventional wisdom.
- A natural communicator and networker: We are looking for someone who has the poise and social skills to have quality one-on-one interactions and cultivate durable relationships with startups, co-investors and fund investors (LPs).
- Hungry and humble: We are searching for a team player who is eager to succeed and enjoys being part of a team.
- Technical mindset and a demonstrated passion for figuring out how things work.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and loves to build.
- Proactive deal scouting and sourcing across all our investment areas.
- Attend startup and industry events across South Africa and Internationally.
- Conduct due diligence for prospective investments (including ones sourced by partners/other team members in the fund).
- Write investment memorandums for prospective startups.
- Actively participate on portfolio company boards and help them accelerate.
- Networking and communication with investors (LPs), funders and co-investors.
- Support fundraising.
Qualifications & Experience
- Master’s or PhD Degree from a top university (Life Sciences Degree advantageous).
- MBA or finance qualification is advantageous.
- A working knowledge of or experience within translational biology or biotechnology.
- First-hand startup experience advantageous.
- 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Ability to work in Cape Town office.
- South African citizen or valid work permit.
- A learning mindset, fuelled by an intense curiosity about the foundation and fundamentals of biology.
- A predisposition to problem-solving, based on first principle and critical thinking.
- A diligent approach to your work.
Turning life science into business.