This position is responsible for all aspects of corporate venture capital investing, including originating, evaluating, structuring, and recommending strategic investment opportunities for Evergy Ventures. This position will be involved with external research on projects/assets/companies, working with sophisticated financial, legal and strategic advisors, entrepreneurs, investment banks, and other external parties. This position will be responsible for all aspects of portfolio management, including participation on boards of directors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Originate strategic investment opportunities through various means, including utilization of professional networks, participation in industry events, and review of appropriate data bases and other potential deal sources.
- Fully evaluate opportunities, including industry landscape, market and competitive analysis, technical risk analysis, and business model and financial modeling.
- Manage all stages of the diligence process and negotiate deal terms.
- Develop full business case in support of potential investments, and present business case to Evergy Ventures’ board for approval.
- Direct investment closing process, including working directly with legal counsel to ensure proper legal documentation and risk mitigation.
- Assist in management and governance of portfolio investments, including serving as board member and/or observer as appropriate.
- Assist in development of business unit strategy, processes, and presentations to executive management and boards.
- Various administrative duties as are necessary.
Education And Experience Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering or similar field is required. An advanced degree and/or designation such as MBA, MS, JD, CFA, etc is preferred. Must demonstrate at least seven years of relevant investing experience, including closing strategic transactions. Preferred experience working as an observer and/or member of a corporate board of directors. Experience in the energy industry is preferred.
Skills, Knowledge, And Abilities Required
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain a strong professional network
- Advanced ability to work with forward-looking analyses often characterized by a high degree of uncertainty and to draw reasonable conclusions from imperfect information.
- Advanced financial modeling ability.
- Solid ability to remain strategic in thought and provide a big-picture perspective on issues and potential solutions.
- Solid understanding of utility accounting and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Solid ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously while adhering to strict deadlines and to work effectively both independently and in less structured environments.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Solid ability to work through traditional institutional barriers to change.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
Licenses, Certifications, Bonding, and/or Testing Required: None
Working Conditions: Normal office working conditions. Evergy Ventures offers an open, collaborative culture where new perspectives and viewpoints are valued.
Evergy has a clear mission – To empower a better future. Evergy chooses to live this mission by valuing People First. We know that to lead the responsible energy transition and provide affordable, reliable, and sustainable service to our customers and communities, we need a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. So, our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We are committed to celebrating diversity and building a team where everyone – regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status – has a voice and can bring their best every day. We know that the more diverse and inclusive we are, the better we will be. Evergy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
Disclaimer: The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Investing in tomorrow's energy.