Principal, Seed Investments
We are looking for a highly motivated Principal to support our efforts to create and develop successful biotech companies with transformational potential for patients, investors, and the Nordic biotech ecosystem.
Novo Holdings is one of the key players in the international life science investment industry. Our portfolio spans the entire range of life science development – from early-stage start-ups to large and mature commercial players. The Seed Investment team is the early-stage investor and company creation team of Novo Holdings, and one of the leading venture creators in Europe.
We offer a unique opportunity for personal and professional development in a dynamic, ambitious, and professional work environment at our headquarter located in Hellerup, Denmark.
As Principal in the Seed Investments team, your main responsibilities will be,
- Be a driving force to source, develop and evaluate therapeutic biotech investment opportunities for our internal lab. Opportunities of interest for the lab go across indications, modalities, and therapeutic areas but are often early-stage programs/platforms originating from pharma/biotech, academia or incubators.
- Be part of team driving the lab dealflow in an efficient and professional manner towards internal and external partners.
- Lead rigorous due diligence on potential lab programs and investments, including all elements of R&D, market research, financial modelling, and analysis of competitive landscape.
- Develop research plans, budgets, business plans and define key deliveries for projects in close collaboration with Seed team colleagues, Entrepreneurs in Residence, Head of the Lab, management teams, and external advisors
- Lead the negotiation of deal terms and structure investments.
- Present investment recommendations and contribute to informed decision making
- Build relationships with entrepreneurs, industry experts, venture capital firms, other VC backed labs and other stakeholders in the venture capital ecosystem as well as participating in partnering conferences.
- Support asset management of portfolio companies by analysing project progress, differentiation, monitoring of competition and relevant market developments.
In the Seed Investment team, you will play a key role as a bridge between our internal lab and the Seeds team with an emphasis on newco ideation, project identification, selection, R&D planning and negotiation with external partners. Results of R&D activities are presented to internal stakeholders vis-à-vis the initial newco thesis and pending successful outcome newco planning and seed financing will be initiated.
The process involves gap and unmet medical need analysis, novel project/technology identification from academia, CROs, biotech/pharma as well as assessing the quality and potential of the underlying science, in-depth analysis of available data, outlining R&D plans incl. key experiments to test the underlying biological thesis, mapping the competitive landscape, and analysing market opportunities. The questions are addressed through review of scientific literature, database searches and interviews with key opinion leaders. The outcome is documented in reports, presentations, and investment recommendations.
The work will be conducted in close collaboration with Seed colleagues, our global team of Entrepreneurs in Residence, incl. chemists, biologists and other drug hunters, as well as key people from our internal venture accelerator lab, who are de-risking and accelerating early opportunities into new biotech companies.
The Novo Holdings Seed Investment team is an early-stage investor and company creator, where we collaborate globally. As a result, we identify and build drug discovery projects in close collaboration with leading academics and biotech/pharma founders world-wide. We are working across modalities and therapeutic areas with a core focus on novel ground-breaking areas of biology or innovative drug discovery technology platforms. You are expected to leverage your entrepreneurial skills and work with these early-stage science projects, identify the commercial opportunities and outline the critical questions for confirmation of the potential which would ultimately lead to the creation of a new start-up company.
The ideal candidate has a strong scientific background (M.D. and/or Ph.D. in relevant scientific field such as biology, pharmacology, or chemistry) with in-depth 5+ years of drug discovery experience from the pharmaceutical or biotech industry. Experiences from the life science venture capital industry or pharma search and evaluation and/or business development would be helpful, but not a prerequisite.
Preferred work qualifications
- Scientific experience in pharmaceutical R&D with a focus on early discovery and translational science with a documented track record of successful cross-functional contributions
- Experience with creating preliminary and full project plans/investment cases and communicating these to senior leaders
- Previous project leadership experience, with proven track record
- Ability to autonomously manage workload and priorities and to re-prioritize as required
- Experience from working with an early-stage VC, pharma S&E or BD&L or experience from founding biotechs
- International mindset and experience from working in an international working environment
As an individual, you are proactive and independent while being a team player, demonstrate courage to challenge the status quo, able to influence without authority and operate in ambiguity. You have an entrepreneurial spirit, and the ability to manage the complexity of working with scientific/biotech/pharma founders to address both R&D and commercial issues that will catalyse the development of solid biotech business plans.
You possess excellent analytical skills and a sense for linking science with business, including solid communication skills, an open mind-set and a proactive approach.
Working at Novo Holdings
Novo Holdings offers a unique opportunity to work at the frontier of life science investments, helping pioneering scientists, entrepreneurs and companies bring new treatments and technologies to market.
In addition, you will be working in a dynamic and ambitious organisation where:
- Clear values and ideals define the framework for sustainable business practices.
- Attractive career paths provide great opportunities for you to build your professional profile in the life science investment community.
- Skilled colleagues and stimulating projects offer an inspiring work environment.
You will enjoy the opportunity to be part of a dedicated, international and dynamic team with diverse backgrounds, and you will be trusted with significant operational freedom. We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace, and therefore recruit with the purpose of hiring the best talent who can contribute with their unique perspectives and experience to make a positive impact on people’s health and the sustainability of society and the planet.
For more information, please contact Morten Graugaard Døssing, Partner, responsible for the lab (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Deadline for applying is October 1st, 2023.
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter, and transcripts from high school onward by clicking on the apply button.
Improving people’s health and the sustainability of society and the planet by generating attractive long-term returns.