Assistant Controller / Controller
Reach Capital is the leading early-stage edtech fund investing in the future of education. We are committed to supporting the growth of the edtech ecosystem and excited to fund and work in service of the most impactful startups and entrepreneurs in education.
As the most active early-stage edtech investor in the U.S., we have invested in and helped grow over 70 leading edtech companies including Outschool, Epic!, Lovevery, Handshake, and Nearpod. The companies we invest in are shaping the future of education from Early Childhood and K-12 to Higher Education and Workforce Development. Reach Capital has raised nearly $600M in committed capital across four core funds.
The Reach team is a hands-on team of doers. It’s very important that you believe in our mission, find genuine joy in serving others, and are willing to roll up your sleeves and proactively jump in on any task necessary to advance the collective effort of the team. Our team operates based on the following values:
- Strong Relationships are at the Core of our Work
- Work in Service of our Founders
- Be Direct but Empathetic
- Express Gratitude Daily
- Embrace Humility
- Act Quickly
- Never Stop Learning
Apply below or complete the form in a separate tab.
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller will assume a pivotal role in supervising our financial operations to ensure the accuracy and integrity of our financial data. We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced Controller with strong interpersonal skills to work closely with our CFO and Investment Team. We value proactive communication and problem-solving skills, making this role ideal for individuals who take ownership and demonstrate self-driven problem-solving. This position is a hybrid work environment with 1-3 days/week in-office work.
- Oversee relationship and review outputs of external vendors including fund administrator, audit, tax and legal team.
- Assist CFO with fund cash positions including planning and reviewing capital calls, distributions, fees and expenses.
- Support CFO & investment team in preparing quarterly investment valuations, LP reporting, presentations, fund metrics and related reports.
- Create and update strategic models that help the investment team analyze funds deployment, reserve requirements, projected returns, fees and expenses.
- Ensuring appropriate and timely communication with the LPs to address any LP requests.
- Help CFO with deal closing and funding process.
- Implement and improve financial processes and controls.
Financial Reporting and Analysis:
- Review and analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Prepare key financial performance metrics.
- Prepare and update financial forecasts and models to support investment decisions.
- Prepare and manage annual investment and expenses budgets.
- Support LP-related communications and incoming requests, including fundraising prep & ODD requests
Audit, Tax and Compliance:
- Lead the audit and tax process, coordinate with administrator, and audit team to ensure timely filing of audit reports and tax filings.
- Ensure compliance with all financial regulations and reporting requirements, including KYC, AML, 1099 and ADV requirements.
- Regular tracking of bank rules, bank access and wire process.
- Compile and review the LOC compliance reports.
- Track investment documents and certificates.
- Assist in the valuation of new investments and follow-on rounds.
- Assist CFO & investment team and the administrator in the valuation process.
- Maintain Airtable (internal database) for current and new investments, including follow-on rounds, realized investment proceeds, and cap table changes.
Support CFO in cash flow management, prepare budgets for the management company.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of 5-8 years of experience in an investment management, tax/audit or fund admin.
- Understanding of US GAAP accounting principals and partnership accounting
- Highly organized with good time management skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information
- Strong project management skills
- Strong problem solver ‐ able to anticipate issues before they arise and proactively find/recommend solutions
- Software Platforms: FundPanel, SageIntacct, Xero, Bill.com, Airtable, Affinity, etc.
This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
We offer an excellent compensation package including unlimited PTO, employee and family coverage for medical/dental/vision health care, and 401k profit sharing.
Reach Capital is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.
Investing in learning pays the best returns. Trusted by teachers, committed to founders. Together shaping the future of education and work.