Since our inception in 2006, we have raised five early-stage biotech funds totaling over €400 million in capital. Our investments have yielded major successes including Acerta Pharma which was sold within three years at multi-billion-dollar deal valuation and ArgenX, now valued above $ 20 billion, both having registered and launched a new drug. We are currently holding 25 active portfolio investments. We are actively looking to build new biotech companies and invest in seed and series A stage investment opportunities for our funds.
Our portfolio is focused on novel therapeutics for human use across different disease areas including oncology, neurology, immune-mediated diseases, ophthalmology using different modalities such as small molecules, biologics, RNA therapy and gene therapy.
BGV has built relationships with various academic institutions, pharmaceutical companies and venture capital investors in the Netherlands, the EU and the US. From our inception, we collaborate closely with Forbion, sharing a dynamic office space, back-office, and infrastructure in Naarden, The Netherlands.
What we offer
We offer a unique opportunity for personal and professional development in an inspiring work environment advancing great biology and science to treat patients in a dynamic, ambitious and professional work environment. You will gain exposure to a wide range of company due diligence activities, as well as interaction with other investors, key opinion leaders, and pharma experts in the life science industry. The Fellowship role will allow you to develop your skills in how to perform analyses of life science companies to identify value through scientific, clinical, regulatory, commercial and financial perspectives. You will work alongside and learn from a diverse and international team of investment professionals with extensive experience in the life sciences.
The primary role of the fellow will be, under the mentorship of the team, to support day-to-day management of deal flow, initial evaluation of new investment opportunities, and to perform a landscape analysis of a therapeutic area with follow up to potential investment opportunities arising out of this exercise. In addition, the fellow will contributing to various ad-hoc assignments. Through these activities the fellow will gain exposure to the investment process, interacting with several biotech companies spanning a range of therapeutic areas and stages of development.
The fellow position is on a full-time basis, working out of the BGV office in Naarden, the Netherlands.
- Screen and assess investment opportunities within the fund’s investment focus
- Perform a landscape analysis of a therapeutic area or market opportunity in a therapeutic space with the mentorship of the team
- Interact with investment prospects
- Perform market research, competitive analysis, and due diligence tasks
- Gather information through interviews with key opinion leaders and industry experts
- Prepare reports on findings of market research
- Support the respective investment manager in the preparation of investment proposals
- Work closely with the investment manager in assessing the science or technical development in our investments to support their business
- Support, build and expand on the existing network of universities, incubators and research organizations
We are looking for a candidate that has:
- Graduated with MSc, MD, PharmD, or PhD in biology, biomedical sciences or engineering, medicine, pharmacology or similar
- Experience in Life Science venture capital, Biotech or Pharma industry, start-ups, manufacturing, or clinical trial support would be a plus
- Strong academic results
- Demonstrated interest in life science innovation
- Fluent communication in English, both verbal and written
- International experience is a plus
- MBA or Masters in Finance is a plus
What we are looking for
- Independent, self-motivated, strong work ethic
- Ambitious, proactive, show attention to detail, and with a structured approach to problem-solving
- Intellectually curious, disciplined, resourceful, and resilient
- Able to work as a team player with a high sense of responsibility
Working at BGV
We have a respectful and collaborative work culture where your opinion is valued. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome applicants regardless of background, orientation, and nationality. An EU work permit and right of residency is required. You will enjoy the opportunity to be part of a dedicated, international, and dynamic team with different backgrounds.
Please note that we will not be able to provide feedback if you do not meet the criteria.
To apply, please send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early-stage funding for European life sciences companies.