We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Principal to join our Venture Capital Fund Family Office, Artha India Ventures. In addition to your role within the family office, you will also play a pivotal role in Artha Continuum Fund, an exclusive syndicate focused on bridge rounds for promising startups. This dual engagement offers a unique opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment, contribute to the growth and success of our portfolio companies, and actively participate in supporting early-stage startups on their growth journey.
This role represents an exciting fusion of responsibilities within both Artha India Ventures and Artha Continuum Fund, allowing you to leverage your skills and expertise in venture capital to make a significant impact on the startup landscape.
Deal Sourcing & Investment:
- Proactively identify and source investment opportunities by building and maintaining a strong network within the startup and venture capital ecosystem.
- Review incoming pitch decks and investment inquiries, assessing their alignment with the fund's investment criteria and strategies. Conduct initial screenings to determine whether a deeper dive is warranted.
- As a Principal, you will actively engage with the startup ecosystem, which includes attending conferences, industry events, and networking sessions. Additionally, you'll utilize your extensive network to reach out to potential investment targets, founders, and other venture capital professionals.
- Lead the due diligence process for potential investments, including market research, financial analysis, and technical assessments.
- Work with the team to evaluate business models, competitive landscapes, and growth potential.
- Prepare investment memos and present investment recommendations to the investment committee.
- Negotiate deal terms and assist in the structuring of investments.
- Assist in managing the closing process for investments.
- Continuously track and assess the financial and operational performance of portfolio companies. Use key performance indicators (KPIs) to evaluate progress and identify areas for improvement.
- Work closely with portfolio companies to provide value beyond capital injection. This may include connecting them with potential partners, customers, or mentors from your network, helping with recruitment efforts, or strategizing around market expansion.
- Serve as a board observer or board member for selected portfolio companies, actively participating in strategic discussions and offering guidance on critical decisions. Ensure that the portfolio companies are aligned with the fund's investment goals.
- Collaborate with the management teams of portfolio companies to develop and execute exit strategies, whether through acquisitions, mergers, or IPOs. Ensure that the fund maximizes its return on investment during exit events.
- As a Principal, you will take a lead role in raising capital for our funds. Leveraging your network in the venture capital and investor community, you will actively engage with high-net-worth individuals, family offices, institutional investors, and other potential limited partners.
- Conduct extensive outreach to potential investors, showcasing the value proposition and unique investment opportunities offered by Artha India Ventures and Artha Continuum Fund. Your ability to communicate the fund's strategy, performance track record, and potential for generating returns will be crucial in building investor confidence.
- Lead or participate in investor roadshows, meetings, and conferences, both locally and internationally, to showcase the fund's opportunities and connect with potential investors. Effectively convey our commitment to responsible and impactful investing.
- Emphasize the fund's past performance and achievements to instil confidence in potential investors. Highlight successful investments, exits, and contributions to the startup ecosystem.
Training and Team Development:
- Take an active role in mentoring and coaching junior team members, providing guidance on deal sourcing, due diligence, and investment analysis. Foster an environment where team members can seek guidance, ask questions, and develop their skills.
- Implement a structured feedback cycle within the team. Encourage open and constructive feedback to help team members refine their investment strategies and decision-making processes. Regularly review and assess team performance to identify areas for improvement.
- Collaborate with the leadership team to develop and implement training programs that address specific skill gaps and promote professional development. Identify external training resources and opportunities to enhance team knowledge and expertise.
- Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) to monitor team performance and individual contributions. Regularly review progress against these metrics and provide feedback to help team members achieve their goals.
Reporting & Analysis:
- Prepare regular reports for the investment committee and family office leadership. These reports should include detailed analyses of the current state of the portfolio, including financial performance, market dynamics, and potential risks and opportunities.
- Conduct in-depth assessments of portfolio company health, including financial stability, growth trajectories, and alignment with fund objectives. Identify any red flags or areas requiring additional attention.
- Tailor reports to specific needs, such as reports for individual limited partners or reports focusing on particular sectors or geographic regions. Ensure that reports are clear, concise, and provide actionable insights.
- Oversee the organization and management of data related to the fund's investments. Implement data best practices and technologies to streamline data collection and reporting processes.
- Master's degree in business, finance, or a related field from a reputed institute
- Proven experience in venture capital, private equity, or investment banking, with a focus on early-stage technology investments.
- Strong analytical skills, including financial modelling and valuation.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills.
- A well-established network in the startup and venture capital community.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Demonstrated track record of successful investments in early-stage companies.
- This is a full-time position located in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
- The Principal will report to the Founder, Anirudh Damani.
- Compensation for this position will be structured as a competitive fixed salary, complemented by a performance-based carry structure. The carry component will be based on the performance of the investments and the overall success of Artha India Ventures and Artha Continuum Fund.
We invest in an ecosystem unified by ambition, revolutionary ideas, game changers, and by working on things that matter.