The Ukrainian technology sector has demonstrated remarkable resilience during wartime. We believe there’s never been a better time to build companies that address some of the world's largest problems, from national security and public safety to effective digital government and a prosperous economy. For the purpose of solving these challenges, we launched a DefenseTech Accelerator in Ukraine called D3 (Dare to Defend Democracy).
The Accelerator is looking for a highly-motivated and skilled Investment Associate to join our team. You will play a vital role in our mission by sourcing, evaluating investment opportunities, conducting due diligence, and supporting portfolio companies throughout their growth journey. You will contribute to the execution of our investment strategy and play a key role in building a strong pipeline of innovative defense technology startups. You will also actively help and guide founders through challenges, critical decisions, strategy, tactics, securing investment, making hard decisions, and celebrating their wins. You will work alongside the Managing Partner and be directly supported by a Program Manager who focuses on the mentor program operations.
Core areas of responsibility
- Conduct thorough market research, actively source potential investment opportunities, and maintain a robust deal flow pipeline within the defense technology sector.
- Evaluate investment opportunities by conducting comprehensive due diligence, including analyzing business models, market potential, financials, technology viability, intellectual property, competitive landscape, and management teams.
- Support the Managing Partner in developing education materials for startups, as well as in negotiating deal terms, preparing investment memos, and coordinating legal and investment documentation processes (including follow-on rounds).
- Provide ongoing support to portfolio companies, including conducting regular performance reviews, monitoring financial and operational metrics, helping with fundraising, and identifying growth opportunities. E.g. you will be a critical partner for them in their fundraising efforts, helping them build their pitch decks, hone their pitch, make investor introductions, and help them run an efficient and effective process.
- Help with creating and nurturing a strong network of mentors, sponsors, investors, and corporate and government partners. Develop meaningful and beneficial relationships across the ecosystem.
- Stay updated on the latest developments and trends within the defense technology sector, monitor the competitive landscape and industry dynamics, and provide insights and recommendations to the Accelerator team.
- 3+ years of experience in fast-paced environments within technology, startups, entrepreneurship, venture capital, private equity, or investment banking.
- Strong financial modeling and analysis skills, with the ability to evaluate investment opportunities, assess financial performance, and conduct due diligence.
- Expertise in structuring term sheets and fundraising processes.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, and attention to detail. Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and assess their commercial potential.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment, supporting colleagues and contributing to the overall success of the organization.
- Strong networking and relationship-building abilities.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in business, finance, engineering, or a related field. Additional qualifications in defense studies, technology, or entrepreneurship are advantageous.
- High level of ambition and energy.
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction and high expectations.
- High ethical standards and ability to maintain confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine (hybrid)
Joining the DefenseTech Accelerator as an Investment Associate offers an exceptional opportunity to contribute to the growth and success of groundbreaking defense technology startups. If you are passionate about innovation, technology, and the defense sector and possess the required skills and qualifications, we invite you to apply and become an integral part of our team.
D3 is an early-stage venture capital fund and accelerator for security startups.