Fine Structure Ventures is backed by Devonshire Investors, the private investment arm of Fidelity, which makes investments across asset classes, including real estate, private equity, and venture capital. Fidelity has a fifty-year history in venture capital and has had the privilege of backing many great companies in technology and healthcare, including Atari, MCI, Nuance, Alibaba, Ultragenyx, Innovent and Denali, among others. Fine Structure Ventures was formed to focus on early stage VC investments in scientific breakthroughs and deep tech, and we are now looking to expand the team to support the investment activities of our second fund.
Role and Responsibilities
The Senior Associate – Fine Structure Ventures will lead the technical and scientific evaluation of investment opportunities in emerging disruptive science including, but not limited to, aerospace, climate tech, next-gen computing, materials, and synthetic biology. You will join an existing investment team to develop and evaluate new opportunities and help manage existing portfolio companies. You will report to the Managing Director of the fund but will also support the investing activities of other senior members of the team.
- Advanced degrees (Ph.D. strongly preferred) and research interests in a scientific field, preferably in physics, mathematics, electronics, or computer science
- Demonstrated interest in emerging technologies and disruptive science with a view on future trends
- Familiarity with early stage startups investing, operating, or consulting roles preferred
- Ability to grasp business concepts and implications of corporate finance and accounting
- Post-academic work experience is preferable
- Impeccable integrity, strong work ethic, and innate respect for colleagues and entrepreneurs
- Creativity, vision, and flexibility combined with strong analytical skills and judgment
- Well-developed interpersonal and networking skills; must be able to build relationships both internally and externally
- Intellectual curiosity across fields
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; must be direct, concise, and analytical
- Self-motivated and comfortable with autonomy, yet humble, transparent, and communicative.
Company OverviewFidelity Investments is a privately held company with a mission to strengthen the financial well-being of our clients. We help people invest and plan for their future. We assist companies and non-profit organizations in delivering benefits to their employees. And we provide institutions and independent advisors with investment and technology solutions to help invest their own clients’ money.
At Fidelity, you’ll find endless opportunities to build a meaningful career that positively impacts peoples’ lives, including yours. You can take advantage of flexible benefits that support you through every stage of your career, empowering you to thrive at work and at home. Honored with a Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Award, we have been recognized by our employees as a Best Place to Work in 2022. And you don’t need a finance background to succeed at Fidelity—we offer a range of opportunities for learning so you can build the career you’ve always imagined.
At Fidelity, our goal is for most people to work flexibly in a way that balances both personal and business needs with time onsite and offsite through what we’re calling “Dynamic Working.”
We invite you to Find Your Fidelity at fidelitycareers.com.
Fidelity Investments is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that the most effective way to attract, develop and retain a diverse workforce is to build an enduring culture of inclusion and belonging.
Fidelity will reasonably accommodate applicants with disabilities who need adjustments to participate in the application or interview process. To initiate a request for an accommodation, contact the HR Accommodation Team by sending an email to accommodations @fmr.com, or by calling 800-835-5099, prompt 2, option 3.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fine Structure Ventures is a venture capital fund affiliated with FMR LLC, the parent company of Fidelity Investments. We focus on early stage investm...