Shell Ventures (SV) is Shell's corporate venture capital arm with a global portfolio of more than 120 investments valued at over $700mln and a recent mandate to invest a further $1.4 bln in low-carbon opportunities by 2027. The goal of SV is to make financially attractive, minority investments in early-stage and more mature growth-stage start-ups that have developed technologies and/or business models which are relevant to Shell’s current and future businesses and customers.
SV fuels Shell’s open innovation by having portfolio companies deliver new technological and/or commercial solutions to Shell businesses to improve operational efficiency, reduce carbon footprint and/or tap new markets or customer segments. SV invests in 3 key areas: Resources & Environment, Renewable Power & Heat and Mobility. SV leads investment rounds or follows other (corporate) VCs, depending on deal dynamics.
SV plays a pivotal role as the “tip of the spear” leading Shell through the energy, mobility and digital transformations in the coming decades. We have a clear strategic mandate to support Shell’s growth and since 2019 all of our new investments have been outside Oil & Gas. The SV team consists of more than 40 professionals in the US, Europe & Asia and includes a dedicated implementation team to act as the bridge between SV, its portfolio companies and global Shell operations and businesses.
What is the role
As SV grows its presence in Europe, we are recruiting an Investment Director to start a new hub in Berlin. This is an exciting role for an experienced venture investor, start up and/or (corporate) innovation professional to invest in relevant start-ups in Climate Tech and specifically in SV’s core domains of Renewable Energy, Mobility, Resources & Environment and IT/Digital. This is an end-to-end role with responsibility for the full process from deal sourcing, to preparing and presenting the investment case, to leading the deal execution and negotiating with counterparties towards delivery, to post-investment management and governing as part of the Board of Directors or as an observer to the board.
- Source investment opportunities through your network that have the potential to transform the energy, mobility and/or carbon markets
- Develop the investment case, including assessment of the value of the solution to Shell in close collaboration with Shell businesses and technology groups
- Structure and negotiate the financial and governance terms of the SV investment, including with other co-investors
- Lead Shell deal teams in performing due diligence, including representatives from various functional support groups (e.g. Finance, Legal)
- Act as a trusted investor- 'advisor' to the CEO and management team in your role as a Board Director or Observer by guiding and helping portfolio companies be successful throughout the various stages of their growth
- Support post-close management of investments (and eventual sale or IPO divestment) and contribute to regular performance reviews of portfolio companies
- Validate, structure and support the implementation of appropriate cooperation opportunities (e.g. joint development agreements, pilot projects, JVs) that can accelerate the deployment of technologies, products or services in Shell operations, in close collaboration with SV’s implementation team
- Contribute to the creation of insightful industry and sector investment theses through analysis, collaboration with Shell business units, and engagements with external parties
- Cultivate a close working relationship with specific business stakeholders to ensure alignment of strategy, sharing of knowledge and ongoing relevance to business groups
- Develop and leverage your internal Shell network to source opportunities, validate strategic relevance of investments, and inform technology and business innovation strategy
- Position and represent SV as a trusted investment partner for world-class start-ups and leading VC
- Be a credible and compelling spokesperson for SV and Shell by speaking at conferences, authoring thought-pieces, hosting events, engaging with media.
Where you fit in
- University degree in Economics, Finance, Business Administration, IT, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or related fields
- Significant professional experience with at least 5-year successful track record in venture capital, incubation, M&A, Business Development or start-up management in the Renewable Energy, Mobility, Environmental or IT/Digital space
- Detailed knowledge of and experience with all aspects of VC deal making (from due diligence to deal structuring, negotiating key terms, reviewing legal documentation and post-close deal management)
- Strong commercial acumen and experience in leading and closing deals
- Natural curiosity, creative and critical thinker with learner mindset
- Demonstrable expertise in, and passion for, technology, innovation and/ or business model analysis and assessment – professional experience in a technical or operational role in the Energy, Mobility or IT industry is a plus
- Deep understanding of how technology or new business models unlock new opportunities
- Strong professional network in the core VC ecosystems in Europe and beyond – cross-business internal Shell network is a plus
- ‘Executive presence’ and the ability to represent SV in public forums
- Strong communicator and project manager with ability to build and maintain relationships within a complex, global corporation
- A true “team player” with a collaborative attitude and an interest in developing talent
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Shell Ventures helps companies reach the next level. Established in 1996 as one of the first corporate venture funds in the oil and gas industry, we a...