Operations and Investment Analyst
SCOR Ventures is the venture investment arm of SCOR Reinsurance, responsible for both investing in and creating partnerships with startups across the insurtech landscape. Since 2017 we have built a global portfolio across three theses: (1) investing in tech-driven underwriting companies (MGAs, carriers) and distributors, (2) software solutions that benefit SCOR and/or our clients, and (3) companies that help people live healthier lives. Our investment scope includes both investments and commercial (re)insurance relationships with startups. As we continue to expand our activity in the insurtech ecosystem, SCOR Ventures has created a new position working directly with the Head of Ventures to optimize portfolio operations, execute investments, build partnerships, and share global expertise on InsurTech across SCOR. We are a global team of six from diverse backgrounds working asynchronously across time zones, coming together for team offsites, portfolio board meetings, and industry events.
We are looking for a team member who can learn and adapt quickly to a diverse investment mandate, multi-task, and take ownership of projects. This position is ideal for a candidate with some work experience in consulting, finance and accounting, insurance, or startup operations who is looking to launch their career in venture capital with hands on exposure to both the operations and investment sides of venture capital.
- Deal Support
- Manage the database of deal opportunities and run regular pipeline analysis and post-mortem reporting
- Own continuous improvement initiatives for deal analysis, specifically valuation models and other templates used in deal diligence.
- Support the team in sourcing and running diligence on potential investments
- Fund Support
- Support quarterly financial reporting with portfolio modeling and analysis
- Drive market scanning activities and maintain internal research databases for deal diligence
- Contribute to SCOR leadership presentations on an ad hoc basis
- Portfolio Support
- Help monitor portfolio companies post-investment, including internal KPI frameworks
- Contribute to portfolio company strategic and operational support, including insurance market/product launches, SCOR client workshops, and network introductions
- Both strategic and technical mindsets; broad ability to synthesize, prioritize, and communicate complex concepts. Good “nose for value.”
- Exceptional cross-functional team skills. Ability to operate in “deal mode” and “project mode” by collaborating and building trusting relationships with business leaders and partners or portfolio companies.
- Advanced written communication skills, to be applied in both written memos and PowerPoint presentations
- Strong Excel skills. VBA knowledge and ability to build and deconstruct financial models is a plus
- Understanding of the venture capital investment process, valuation techniques, term sheets, contracts, etc., and ability to produce the same to support deals
- Understanding of insurance fundamentals and concepts, including product categories, customer acquisition, risk management (understanding of technical systems, processes, regulation of insurance companies is a nice to have)
- Ability to sort through large amounts of information and identify that which is most relevant, then present it either face-to-face or in succinct memos
- Desire to work on a small, collaborative and global team and ability to work asynchronously across time zones
- Proficiency in English required, additional language skills a plus.
- A professional demeanor to be able to present to, and build relationships with, senior executives at SCOR, at clients, and at partner companies or (prospective) portfolio companies
- University degree or equivalent
- Experience to be able to demonstrate the skills in this job description
- Personal passion and interest for InsurTech
- The role is ideally based in London, but we will consider candidates based in Paris, Cologne, Zurich, and Madrid.
- Travel to major SCOR and client locations may be required, likely 10-20%, but possibly higher depending on the office chosen and specific deals.
SCOR, the 4th largest reinsurer in the world, provides insurance companies with a diversified and innovative range of solutions and services to control and manage risk. Leveraging experience and expertise to deliver “The Art & Science of Risk”, SCOR provides cutting-edge financial solutions, analytics tools and services in all areas related to risk – from Life & Health and Property & Casualty insurance to Investments. Our specialized teams operate in over 160 countries, fostering long-term relationships with clients.
In order to provide our clients with a broad range of innovative reinsurance solutions, SCOR pursues an underwriting policy that is founded on profitability and supported by effective risk management strategy and a prudent investment policy. This approach allows us to offer clients an optimum level of security, to create value for shareholders, and to contribute to the welfare and resilience of society by helping to protect insureds against the risks they face.
At SCOR, we believe that employing people from different backgrounds and ensuring inclusivity is a major driving force for the success of the Group. We are committed to fostering a work environment in which all employees are treated fairly and respectfully, have equal access to opportunities and resources, and can contribute fully to SCOR’s success.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Combining the art and science of risk to protect societies.