Compliance Officer, Crypto
Founded in Silicon Valley in 2009 by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, Andreessen Horowitz (known as "a16z") is a venture capital firm that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to venture to late-stage technology companies, across bio + healthcare, consumer, crypto, enterprise, fintech, games, and companies building toward American dynamism. a16z has $35B in assets under management across multiple funds.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the company-building process; we know what it’s like to be in the founder’s shoes. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping founders and their companies impact and change the world.
We are seeking an experienced Compliance Officer, Crypto to join our mission as we continue to scale and grow a16z Crypto. This role is for a cross-functional contributor reporting directly to the Chief Compliance Officer. We are looking for a data-driven thinker, who is deeply familiar with the web3/digital asset domain. We place a premium on creative problem solving and an ability to consistently execute at the highest level. The position is responsible for assisting in the development, enhancement, maintenance and testing of a complex compliance program. You will immediately feel your impact at a16z Crypto as you will be responsible for all aspects of regulatory compliance for the vertical.
You will be responsible for: (i) implementation of compliance policies, including the code of ethics, (ii) conducting training and testing of procedures, (iii) contributing to preparation of regulatory filings, and (iv) tracking impactful trends, developments, and regulatory updates that pertain to the crypto venture capital business.
To join our team, you should be excited to:
- Build strategic relationships with key partners at a16z
- Establish processes using a thoughtful and tactical approach to risk management
- Monitor policies for their appropriateness in an evolving business and market environment
- Review a16z materials and public facing content and disclosures
- Provide guidance and training to staff regarding relevant regulatory developments
- Assess business impact of changing regulatory requirements
- Utilize technology to efficiently and timely perform your role
- Understand and learn about technological innovations
- Work creatively within a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Work with the CCO to draft compliance policies
- Clearly communicate findings to relevant personnel
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree (JD, MBA) or Professional Certificate (CPA, CFA) a plus
- 10+ years audit, compliance or legal experience with a registered investment adviser, consulting group, or audit firm.
- Risk management experience is a plus
- Strong technical knowledge of distributed ledger technology
- Passion for crypto, web3, and decentralized technology
- Familiarity with the state of Crypto regulations and current primary and secondary market structure
- working or advising on regulatory issues around nascent and emerging technology in government, civil society, or client services
- Strategic problem solver who exhibits intellectual curiosity, open-mindedness, and ability to succeed when given a high degree of autonomy
- Proven track record in leading cross-functional teams to measurable results
- Knowledge of the relevant rules and regulations (SEC, FINRA, and CFTC)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with an ability to work independently
- Flexible personality that can work across business groups
- Meticulous attention to detail with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and within a team environment
- Ability to research and apply new regulations
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.
Andreessen Horowitz hereby reserves the right to make use of any unsolicited resumes received from outside recruiting agencies and / or individual recruiters without being responsible for payment of any fees asserted from the use of unsolicited resumes.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Andreessen Horowitz (known as "a16z") is a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, California, that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future throu...