At TenOneTen we invest early (pre-seed, seed, seed+) and love working with technical founders with a unique perspective, a big long-term vision, and the staying power to make that vision come true. The fund’s partners were founders themselves, growing companies from idea to $1B+ in exits.
We're sector agnostic but we are particularly attracted to big industries undergoing transformation such as healthcare, logistics, real estate and financial services as well as the picks and shovels that make the Internet economy work. Our average check size is $1M and we primarily lead or co-lead.
About the Associate role
The primary goal of this role is to source and evaluate new investment opportunities for the fund. The associate will also be an integral part of the TenOneTen team, participating in partner meetings and contributing insights to all aspects of what we do.
What you’ll do...
Your focus will be to get out into the world and find great investment opportunities, and then help the team figure out whether to make an investment. You’ll also be another hand-on-deck for the many things we do as a fund.
- Make connections
- Actively seek out early stage founders through the extensive network you build.
- Attend demo days, pitch competitions, etc., and get to know other sources of potential deal flow such as other investors and local founders.
- Be a great representative of TenOneTen.
- Keep the team apprised of what you’re seeing and sensing in the market.
- Bring opportunities to the team and evaluate them
- Lean on our combined team expertise to find the best investments to explore more deeply.
- Help gather salient information so we can make the best decisions including reference checks, customer interviews, interviews with like-customers. Consult with experts, evaluate markets and competition. Use products and competitive products where possible.
- Write the deal memo to put all this information in one place.
- Help make offers and shepherd deals from term sheet to close.
- Be a good vc
- Be a true advocate for TenOneTen portfolio companies. Be responsive. When appropriate, help make connections to find the solutions they need.
- Make sure deals go through the pipeline quickly. Write clear, kind, and timely communications, especially for opportunities we don’t pursue.
- Give your time and effort to the entrepreneurial community, even where there’s no clear quid pro quo for TenOneTen.
- Everything else
- We’re a small team and we all chip in to common duties like LP. presentations, events, gathering information for reporting, etc.
- Help build the infrastructure for a growing and enduring institution.
Who you are...
- Mature, trustworthy, hardworking, kind.
- Get shit done attitude.
- Good judgment.
- Nerdy. Technical skills are not essential but highly valued.
- Demonstrated passion for venture capital. Experience is a huge plus, but other indicators like investment/entrepreneurial clubs, social media or blog, writing will also be considered.
- 4 years+ of work experience, including working at a startup and/or another vc.
- This is a full-time position based in Los Angeles.
Salary, Perks and Benefits
- Salary based on experience
- Benefits and PTO
- Potential for fund carry
- Be part of a very fun team!
Click here to apply.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Experienced founders investing in your early stage startup. We invest early in technical teams building technical products.