Head of Scoping, New Venture Creation in Agriculture
Deep Science Ventures (DSV) is a venture creator, combining available scientific knowledge and founder-type scientists into high-impact ventures, to build a future where both humans and the planet thrive.
DSV operates in 4 sectors: Agriculture, Climate, Pharmaceuticals and Computation tackling the challenges defining those areas by taking a first-principles approach and partnering with leading institutions.
OUR WORK IN AGRICULTURE
The agri team's mission is to transition agriculture from extractive to regenerative practices. In agri we're creating ventures to avert this disaster, leveraging modern techniques to restore soil quality and increase biodiversity, while ensuring scalability through strong commercials and knowledgeable local partners. Using our proprietary methodology, we have a bioregional focus, assembling consortia of partners to create companies that can be scaled across similar ecosystems.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Head of Scoping, you'll be responsible for all agri sector's research and development work for the earliest phases of venture creation i.e. scoping new opportunity areas or "themes", recruitment of Founders and general venture programme management. What that means in practice is:
- managing a team of Scoping Associates to:
- research and synthesise knowledge across multiple scientific, and industrial domains developing theses for new venture creation programmes in agri;
- recruit founding teams for each programme and work with the founders to develop ideas for new technological solutions;
- guide founding teams through the venture creation journey from idea-inception to incorporation and spin-out;
- working in close collaboration with senior leadership to develop new resources, tools and processes optimising for speed, quality and efficiency of venture creation activities;
- liaising with our partner organisations in agri who support our venture creation programmes, reporting progress and leveraging their expertise as needed.
You'll be working in a tight-nit team, including Associates Will and Angel, and the Head of Business Development for Agriculture Chris, and reporting directly to senior leadership - our agri sector lead Edward is an exited founder and an expert in biotechnology, and biosecurity.
- Deep technical understanding (PhD level) in agricultural and/or earth sciences e.g. agronomy, synthetic biology/geomicrobiology/geochemistry/biochemistry or similar fields (applied specifically in agriculture);
- Experience in biotech/agritech is a must, having worked in a high-growth (ideally, VC-backed) startup as part of early team, developing technology from pre-seed to seed or Series A;
- Demonstrated ability to learn fast, particularly new technical domain areas and ability to build new technologies/translating science into solutions with demonstrable positive impact.
- Competitive salary, equity and discretionary bonus scheme;
- Flexible working environment (remote or hybrid) and generous holiday allowance;
- Freedom to work on outcomes you're most excited about and the sort of solutions you want to see deployed in the agri sector;
- Working with some of the most ambitious and impact-driven individuals you'll ever meet;
- Being part of building the next generation of ventures solving for human and planetray outcomes.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're creating a future in which both humans and the planet thrive. We combine available scientific knowledge and founder-type scientists into high-im...