Communications & Policy Partner, American Dynamism
Founded in Silicon Valley in 2009 by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, Andreessen Horowitz (known as "a16z") is a venture capital firm that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to venture to late-stage technology companies, across bio + healthcare, consumer, crypto, enterprise, fintech, games, and companies building toward American dynamism. a16z has $35B in assets under management across multiple funds.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the company-building process; we know what it’s like to be in the founder’s shoes. We’ve invested in companies like Affirm, Airbnb, Coinbase, Databricks, Devoted Health, EQRx, Figma, GitHub, Instacart, OpenSea, Roblox, Stripe, and Substack. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping founders and their companies impact and change the world.
The Venture Fund at a16z has more than $6.5B in assets under management and invests across consumer, enterprise, fintech and games. The American Dynamism Partner will lead communications strategy for the American Dynamism practice within our venture fund and partner with our general partners on their investment platforms. We believe there’s never been a better time to build companies that support the national interest and solve critical problems for the country. We’re looking for a seasoned communicator with deep policy and government knowledge and a proven ability to advance conversations, drum up enthusiasm and bridge knowledge gaps in a positive and productive manner.
This is a rare opportunity to set the narrative in a rapidly evolving technological sector at a top venture capital firm. In this role, you’ll build and deploy informative campaigns that leverage brand marketing channels including communications, content marketing, social media and events.
The a16z venture marketing team additionally plays a meaningful role in the lifecycle of our portfolio companies and prioritizes offering timely, honest and practical support on a myriad of company milestones on every stage of the startup journey from pre-launch through exit. As we make investments in this space, you’ll act as an advisor to our portfolio.
This role is the best of both worlds for a seasoned communications and policy professional, with the ability to coach and counsel, while still applying your operational skills in a growth-oriented environment.
We’re pro-future and pro-technology, and we’re seeking a highly competent and nimble leader who is passionate about the opportunity for new technology to continue to drive innovation and positive change in the world.
To join our team, you should be excited to:
- Build a meaningful case for technology to advance the American Dream. You'll uniquely define and deploy a communications strategy to raise awareness of the role technology can play in solving hard problems in the U.S.
- Partner with our general partners on refining and amplifying key theses; inclusive of deploying these platforms at industry-leading events, through content and via engagements with thought-leaders, builders, policymakers and press.
- Be a beacon and trusted advisor for our portfolio companies - you’ll be the specialist they’ll turn to on brand marketing, media strategy, issues management, internal communications, and on how to use their voices to grow their brands
- Maintain productive relationships with media and changemakers to support our portfolio companies and help demystify new technologies
- Build strong industry networks and secure high quality brand-building opportunities for partners to write, speak, and lead key conversations
- Be responsible for the continued development of a16z's marketing network – this includes identifying and vetting appropriate agencies and consultants
- Minimum of 10 years experience in executive, crisis, product, and/or policy communications in government, at a high-growth company or at an agency on behalf of tech companies. You should have experience breaking new ground with narratives on a national scale
- Strong writing ability
- High EQ; able to persuade, influence, and build trust at the executive level both inside the firm and with outside networks and constituencies
- Proven track record of creating and executing on communications and or policy plans
- Life-long learner: we are techno-optimists who dig in deep on new subject matter and work hard to demystify complex subject matter to audiences through press, speaking and content
- Self-starter who is resilient through change, with strong ability to context-shift, learn, and drive meaningful results
- Respect for the entrepreneurial struggle and eagerness to coach, counsel, and support entrepreneurs of all stages with both compassion and expertise
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.
Andreessen Horowitz hereby reserves the right to make use of any unsolicited resumes received from outside recruiting agencies and / or individual recruiters without being responsible for payment of any fees asserted from the use of unsolicited resumes.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Andreessen Horowitz (known as "a16z") is a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, California, that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future throu...