Associate, New Venture Creation in Therapeutics
Deep Science Ventures (DSV) is a venture creator, combining available scientific knowledge and founder-type scientists into high-impact ventures, to build a future where both humans and the planet thrive.
DSV operates in 4 sectors: Agriculture, Computation, Energy and Pharmaceuticals, tackling the challenges defining those areas by taking a first-principles approach and partnering with leading institutions.
In the pharma team we’re focusing on curative therapeutics. The current rate of therapeutic failure is unsustainable and unnecessary. The reasons are well understood, including poor models and lack of specificity, but often simply put down to “science is hard” or lost in a whirlwind of hype around AI. In reality, the knowledge and toolsets are available, but the failure rate of therapeutics remains unconscionably high. This is due to entrenched biases at every stage, from publishing papers to clinician marketing. We work to a thesis which addresses these constraints.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As an Associate you will work in close partnership with the Associate Director for Pharma, our current or future pharma sector Founders and other Associates, focusing on systemic analysis or “scoping”, as we call it, of opportunity areas (OAs) for new venture development, identifying the sort of technologies and ventures that should exist but don’t.
While your main focus will be on opportunity analysis, you’ll be involved across all core functions of venture development, including recruitment and team building, business development, fundraising and portfolio management to quickly develop a broad understanding of the scope of all activities within the business.
- Research and identify new OAs for building novel therapeutics ventures;
- Recruit a team of multidisciplinary founder-type scientists and work together on venture creation;
- Drive the venture creation process from idea generation to pre-seed and seed investments;
- Support fundraising and business development efforts for the sector.
- Deep technical understanding and interest in (preferably at least two) areas including neurodegenerative disease, cardiovascular disease, mechanisms of ageing, female health, inflammation, and drug discovery;
- You’ll likely have done a translationally-focussed PhD in any of (or similar) areas: cell and gene therapy, drug discovery, synthetic biology, computational biology, cell engineering, molecular biology or biochemistry;
- Demonstrated interest in commercial / business / VC fields, ideally with ~2 years experience working as a Business Analyst (or similar);
- Demonstrated level of achievement, taking own initiative and delivering outcome-oriented projects from start to finish. You make things happen.
- Competitive salary;
- Flexible working environment (remote or hybrid);
- Rapid personal development and massive learning curve;
- Working with some of the most ambitious and impact-driven individuals you'll ever find;
- Being part of building the next generation of therapeutics ventures.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're creating a future in which both humans and the planet thrive. We combine available scientific knowledge and founder-type scientists into high-im...