Analyst, Venture Capital (Undergraduate)
Commonfund Capital is a leading global alternative asset management focused on private equity and venture capital. Commonfund Capital is a subsidiary of Commonfund, an institutional investment management firm headquartered in Wilton, CT with global offices in New York, London, San Francisco, Beijing and London. Founded in 1971, Commonfund is a nonprofit organization with over $25 billion in assets under management whose core mission is to enhance the financial resources of its investors through superior fund management, investment advice and services. The firm offers pooled investment funds, customized accounts and outsourced services spanning all asset classes to over 1,600 clients.
Formed in 1988, Commonfund Capital provides investors with the opportunity to achieve higher investment returns and diversification through the private capital markets. As one of the oldest and most well-respected fund-of-funds, Commonfund Capital enables its clients to gain access to primary, secondary and direct investment partnerships in private equity, venture capital, and real assets and sustainability around the world.
Commonfund Capital has managed over $17 billion of committed capital from our investors since inception. The investment team is currently made up over 20 professionals and divides responsibility by investment strategy, but takes a team approach to decision making. Each investment strategy team is typically managed by a Managing Director, Director/Associate Director, and Associate/Analyst.
Commonfund Capital has a proud history of investing in venture capital since 1989. The program has an early stage bias and invests in high-performing, access-constrained venture capital opportunities that generate premium value for its clients. In planning for the future, the Venture Capital team seeks to add an Analyst. In this role, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain invaluable experience working with top-tier private capital partnerships at one of the premier private capital investment firms in the world. The Analyst will also gain exposure to managing and executing diligence of direct investments in high growth venture-backed companies and secondaries. The candidate will also benefit from the mentorship of the Managing Directors of Commonfund Capital and the expertise of the rest of the Commonfund Capital team.
Role and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will play a key role in overseeing existing venture capital programs. This position entails: making and monitoring primary, direct investment and secondary commitments; liaising with clients and assisting with reporting; and participating in fundraising. This individual will work closely with the other members of the Commonfund Capital team. Specifically, this will encompass the following:
- Undertake portfolio evaluation and analysis on managers and funds;
- Contribute to overall investment strategy, investment selection and recommendation, as well as performance monitoring and measurement of investment programs;
- Contribute significantly to direct venture investments and to the secondary efforts, including sourcing, diligencing, valuing, and monitoring;
- Present investment opportunities and recommendations to the Investment Committee;
- Complete analytical projects on specific investment topics and perform extensive due diligence on new potential investment firms including direct meetings and reference checks.
- Maintain contact with managers and other industry professionals;
- Oversee updates of internal databases, deal logs, models and presentations;
- Drive analytical rigor through oversight and continued development of data collection efforts, as well as generating ideas to utilize such data for manager and industry evaluation purposes;
- Provide support to the marketing team relating to private capital programs;
- Present private capital programs to staff and trustees of client institutions.
Ideally, the candidate will be completing an undergraduate degree from University and have a demonstrated history of success throughout their lives both in academia and in their other endeavors. Individuals must be intellectually curious and creative, possess exceptional judgment, a balanced ego and unquestionable integrity. The successful candidate will have a unique combination of investment acumen, personal drive and a passion for excellence that is characteristic of the Commonfund organization.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications Include:
- Senior completing last year of a four-year college degree, with a strong GPA in a relevant discipline (Accounting, Finance, Economics, or a similar quantitative major)
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial markets.
- Demonstrated interest in venture capital, technology and innovation.
- Strong accuracy and attention to detail, ability to be rigorous and work autonomously.
- Strong analytical and modeling skills, including use of spreadsheets and databases.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; excellent communicator in both written and verbal form; exceptional ability to network and build relationships.
- Ability to complete assignments independently and follow through on extended projects
- Driven self-starter and has bias for action; ability to identify and accurately initiate solutions, set priorities and meet deadlines without constant oversight.
- Intellectual curiosity and avid learner who desires continuous growth.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Commonfund Capital is a leading global alternative asset management focused on private equity and venture capital.