As an Investment Principal, you are joining a Techstars team responsible for sourcing, recruiting and helping to accelerate the growth of companies in which we invest. You bring into the program an understanding of early stage investing and fundraising. You are constantly meeting with entrepreneurs and are versed on emerging trends and technologies in the venture capital industry. You are intimately involved in the sourcing and screening of both founders and companies, and developing investment memos to ensure investments can achieve fundraising targets. You’ll maintain strong bonds with the startups you bring into the program, acting as a resource and looking out for relevant opportunities to support their success.
In support of and in consultation with the Managing Director:
- Source, recruit, evaluate, and support closing investments in target companies within target investment sectors and thesis via direct outreach, diverse sourcing efforts, marketing events, referrals, and in-bound accelerator applications
- Lead one to five investment decisions a year, alongside the Managing Director, that will be directly attributed to you
- Form and foster effective relationships with founders, investors, mentors, service providers, and other ecosystem partners to build a support network around our founders and to develop sourcing and due diligence relationships
- Deliver content and workshops during our 13-week accelerator programs
- Mentor our founders and provide them with the network, tools, and education they need to succeed
- Help our founders secure additional investment during and post-program
- Provide ongoing portfolio management and assistance for our companies
- Do whatever else it takes to identify, close, and help world-class founders to find success and to make sure our accelerator experiences are extraordinary
- Deep understanding of, empathy for, and experience with, the zero-to-one entrepreneurial process - you quite likely have 1) been a co-founder or early employee at a startup company and have ideally been involved with a successful fundraise or two, or 2) have prior early-stage tech investing experience
- Experience engaging with and supporting a diverse entrepreneurial network
- 7-10 years of prior experience in the technology industry; product development, engineering, or go-to-market experience
- Experience constructing Investment Memos and supporting research
- Understanding of venture deals, investment materials, and investor pitches
- An investment track record that demonstrates the ability to source, transact and grow early stage businesses
- Strong emotional intelligence, experience with recruiting, vetting or advising entrepreneurs
- A genuine passion for technology and startups, an entrepreneurial mindset and a desire to learn
- You are available to travel
- Systems thinker with an eye for things that do not scale and the capability to design new processes and systems for implementation across programs
- Expertise with Excel models, Google Suite, and other tools utilized by our founders and program
- Your verbal and written communication skills are razor sharp
- Initiative and comfort working through uncertainty/unstructured environments come naturally to you
- Analytically oriented - you make decisions based on data
- You can sell - you combine credibility and chemistry to convince people to join you on your journey
Compensation Range: $135,000+ + Bonus + Carry
The Techstars worldwide network helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas—entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation, and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations, and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 3,000 companies that today have a combined market cap valuation of $75 Billion. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed.